Discussion:
Zimerman Brahms Solo
(too old to reply)
Randy Lane
2018-08-12 02:42:36 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Is this stuff K. Zimerman won't authorize DG to reissue?
If so, is it worth paying a the asking price?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brahms-3-sonaten-scherzo-4-balladen-Krystian-Zimerman-w-germany-PDO/153125260774?hash=item23a6fa0de6%3Ag%3A2VEAAOSwrg1bZHPi&_sacat=11233&_nkw=brahms+zimerman&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2499334.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xbrahms+zimerman.TRS0
JohnGavin
2018-08-12 12:40:46 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Is this stuff K. Zimerman won't authorize DG to reissue?
If so, is it worth paying a the asking price?

Yes - Zimerman had stopped the reissue of the set.

My feeling is that Sonatas 1 and 2 are very elegant, beautiful and polished.performances, definitely worth having - not muscular and earthy as in Richter’s recording. The disappointment for me is in #3 which most regard as the greatest of the 3. It seemed to lack shape and direction to me ears. The set also includes the op. 10 Ballades, which are played well as one would expect - but not nearly as memorably for me as Michelangeli.
Bozo
2018-08-12 13:29:36 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
>On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 7:40:49 AM UTC-5, JohnGavin wrote:
> The set also includes the op. 10 Ballades, which are played well as one would >expect - but not nearly as memorably for me as Michelangeli.

My Michelangeli recording of the Brahms Op.10 is in the Aura Classics 10-cd box,I believe live in Lugano,1973, also at YT. Is that the Michelangeli recording to which you refer ? TIA. Certainly unique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7S19Ew-fv8&t=23s
JohnGavin
2018-08-12 13:42:10 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
My Michelangeli recording of the Brahms Op.10 is in the Aura Classics 10-cd box,I believe live in Lugano,1973, also at YT. Is that the Michelangeli recording to which you refer ? TIA. Certainly unique.

Try the Lugano 1981 concert, also on YouTube (I think the Ballades art the last items, after the Schubert Sonata). This, IMO is the best ABM Ballades performance.
Bozo
2018-08-12 14:26:10 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
>On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 8:42:13 AM UTC-5, JohnGavin wrote:
> Try the Lugano 1981 concert, also on YouTube


Thanks again. Yes, ABM seems to bring more life ,color to the music in 1981 than 1973:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf3xHZrcjPg&t=14s ( ABM, 1981 )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUycRkzxYjA ( Zimerman )
Al Eisner
2018-08-17 22:17:54 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Sun, 12 Aug 2018, Bozo wrote:

>> On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 8:42:13 AM UTC-5, JohnGavin wrote:
>> Try the Lugano 1981 concert, also on YouTube
>
>
> Thanks again. Yes, ABM seems to bring more life ,color to the music in 1981 than 1973:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf3xHZrcjPg&t=14s ( ABM, 1981 )
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUycRkzxYjA ( Zimerman )

That Lugano 1981 ABM performance was also on Aura, on a disk (coupled
with Schubert D537) which apparently didn't make its way into the boxes.
When I first heard that it was revelatory: the first time I felt I
understood the Ballades. It remains a favorite.

Interestingly, Amazon lists a DG CD with the same coupling (very cheap on
marketplace). The discography at http://www.andrewfwilson.co.uk/abm2.htm
lists this also as 1981. Is this the same, or perhaps a studio recording
from around the same time? Maybe John knows something about it.
--
Al Eisner
Théo Amon
2018-08-18 22:39:51 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Em sexta-feira, 17 de agosto de 2018 19:17:58 UTC-3, Al Eisner escreveu:
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2018, Bozo wrote:
>
> >> On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 8:42:13 AM UTC-5, JohnGavin wrote:
> >> Try the Lugano 1981 concert, also on YouTube
> >
> >
> > Thanks again. Yes, ABM seems to bring more life ,color to the music in 1981 than 1973:
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf3xHZrcjPg&t=14s ( ABM, 1981 )
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUycRkzxYjA ( Zimerman )
>
> That Lugano 1981 ABM performance was also on Aura, on a disk (coupled
> with Schubert D537) which apparently didn't make its way into the boxes.
> When I first heard that it was revelatory: the first time I felt I
> understood the Ballades. It remains a favorite.
>
> Interestingly, Amazon lists a DG CD with the same coupling (very cheap on
> marketplace). The discography at http://www.andrewfwilson.co.uk/abm2.htm
> lists this also as 1981. Is this the same, or perhaps a studio recording
> from around the same time? Maybe John knows something about it.
> --
> Al Eisner

The DG Ballades are a studio recording, and a damn good one!
J.A.W.
2018-08-12 21:56:43 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
I recently got the Zimerman solo Brahms set for 70 euros and while it's OK, I wasn't overly impressed. Sounded to me as if he wasn't quite at ease with the material. In my opinion it's not worth more than what I paid for it; the prices some private sellers are asking are insane.
Théo Amon
2018-08-13 00:19:12 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Em sábado, 11 de agosto de 2018 23:42:39 UTC-3, Randy Lane escreveu:
> Is this stuff K. Zimerman won't authorize DG to reissue?
> If so, is it worth paying a the asking price?
>
> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brahms-3-sonaten-scherzo-4-balladen-Krystian-Zimerman-w-germany-PDO/153125260774?hash=item23a6fa0de6%3Ag%3A2VEAAOSwrg1bZHPi&_sacat=11233&_nkw=brahms+zimerman&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2499334.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xbrahms+zimerman.TRS0

I heard this, and it's interesting stuff, but not worth that price...

I'd stick with Arrau on Sonatas 2 and 3, and Richter on 1 and 2. In fact, I like Kempff's 3 enormously, even though he doesn't own the beefy sonority I like in my Brahms.
Bozo
2018-08-13 01:29:58 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
>On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 7:19:14 PM UTC-5, Théo Amon wrote:
> I'd stick with Arrau on Sonatas 2 and 3, and Richter on 1 and 2. In fact, I like Kempff's 3 enormously, even >though he doesn't own the beefy sonority I like in my Brahms.

I have Richter's Decca cd of 1987 Brahms 1 and 2 in Italy which I think is great, and Kempff's 3 in a 1969 London recital on BBC Legends ,likewise excellent. Are those recordings among the recordings you are recommending ? TIA.
Théo Amon
2018-08-13 13:25:52 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Em domingo, 12 de agosto de 2018 22:30:00 UTC-3, Bozo escreveu:
> >On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 7:19:14 PM UTC-5, Théo Amon wrote:
> > I'd stick with Arrau on Sonatas 2 and 3, and Richter on 1 and 2. In fact, I like Kempff's 3 enormously, even >though he doesn't own the beefy sonority I like in my Brahms.
>
> I have Richter's Decca cd of 1987 Brahms 1 and 2 in Italy which I think is great, and Kempff's 3 in a 1969 London recital on BBC Legends ,likewise excellent. Are those recordings among the recordings you are recommending ? TIA.

In my Richter Complete DG/Decca box there's also a 1988 recording in Tours, France. I'll have to rehear this one and the 1986 Mantua recital you mentioned to remember which I find better: when I did a compared listening one of them was marginally more to my taste. Will update you soon.
He also did a RCA recording of no. 1 (Hasselburg, July 10, 1988), released coupled with some Liszt pieces. This one I haven't heard yet, but it's there in the complete Sony/RCA/Columbia box.

(BTW it's a cool thing he left aside the only Brahms sonata all the others played! I find Richter's take on repertoire choice pure genius, even when it goes against my personal choices...)


The Kempff Brahms 3 I'm talking about is a studio matter for Decca later reissued by DG (in that out-of-print Original Masters 1950s Brahms & Schumann box set). I think it's the same recording included in the more recent all-Brahms Australian Decca Eloquence release as part of 2 double sets. Conflicting information around as to whether this is mono or stereo, though.
Bozo
2018-08-13 14:41:26 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
>On Monday, August 13, 2018 at 8:25:55 AM UTC-5, Théo Amon wrote:
>The Kempff Brahms 3 I'm talking about is a studio matter for Decca later reissued by DG

Thanks for the info. Let me know what you think about the Richter 1986 ( 1987 ? ) Brahms 1 and 2 in Italy.

Do try to hear Kempff's live 1969 BBC Legends Brahms 3. The recital cd also contains Schumann's " Papillons" and Op. 17 Fantasy. I heard an interview once with pianist Imogen Cooper who reported she attended the recital with her mentor Alfred Brendel and Brendel called Kempff's playing then " miraculous", although she was not clear if all the works were so , but that was the impression I got.
Loading...