Recordings of live performances of note - XVII
Bozo
2017-07-13 23:29:08 UTC
Wonderful programme, seemingly excellent playing ( quartetophiles can comment ) by one Alma Quartet ( my first hearing of them and of the Schulhoffs) , July 11,2017, in the Kleine zaal of the Concertgebouw, Amsterdam :

http://www.radio4.nl/luister-concerten/concerten/6798/franse-strijkkwartet-muziek

• Strijkkwartet nr. 2 - compleet Erwin Schulhoff
• Strijkkwartet - compleet Claude Debussy
• Strijkkwartet nr. 8 “Dresden" - compleet Dmitri Sjostakovits
• Divertimento voor strijkkwartet, op.14 - deel IV, "Romanze. Ruhig fließend" Erwin Schulhoff
• Strijkkwartet - compleet Maurice Ravel

From Radio 4 :
“ Het Alma Quartet bestaat uit drie leden van het Koninklijk Concertgebouworkest en cellist Nitzan Laster van het Nederlands Philharmonisch Orkest. Hun eerste album bundelde alle kwartetmuziek van Erwin Schulhoff. “

The Shostakovich a bit reserved ? The Debussy stunning, the very brief Schulhoff Op.14 mov. a gem.

Bozo
2017-07-14 01:59:00 UTC
Marvelous !!

Per the YT poster :

"The Orchestra of the University of Music FRANZ LISZT Weimar (Conductor: Prof. Nicolás Pasquet), Ravel's Piano concerto for the left hand. Pianist Hélène Tysman finishes her final exam at the LISZT UNIVERSITY with this concert.
The concert took place at the Neue Weimarhalle on December 8th, 2011"

Bozo
2017-07-18 13:34:26 UTC
Very intimate, “ laid-back “ , but rich, wonderful performance of the Rach 2 at 2017 Proms by Behzod Abduraimov,well-supported by BBCNOW / Sondergard. Was not planning to listen to all , but did after hearing about the first half of the first mov. ( BTW, Abduraimov played a post-concerto encore, an appropriateTchaikovsky nocturne.) Bit of trouble hearing the woodwinds in 2nd mov. Great programme includes the symphonies No. 7 of Sibelius, No. 10 of Shostakovich , I’ve yet to hear.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08xz332
Bozo
2017-07-19 00:01:39 UTC
It always amazes me the Shostakovich VC # 1 can be played live. Here — OMG. The silence during in huge Albert Hall says all , as does the ovation at the end.

Nicola Benedetti, BBCNOW,Sondergard, 2017 Proms :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08xzwtb

And an encore !?! By Robert Burns !!

Not to be missed.
Tony
2017-07-19 06:23:49 UTC
Not saying it isn't, but the beginning sounds awful to me. I decided to stop there.
Bozo
2017-07-19 11:19:46 UTC
Agreed, I felt the opening chords could have been played better and was concerned with initial tempii when the orchestra first entered, but got much better quickly, IMHO.
Bozo
2017-07-19 11:22:02 UTC
Abduraimov said his model was the Van Cliburn recording ( the studio on RCA with Reiner I believe ), one I also like , but I preferred Abduraimov here.
Bozo
2017-07-21 13:08:32 UTC
Howard Shelly, London Mozart Players, in Mozart K.595, rather more ornamented slow mov. than I usually hear, my preference more simplicity.

Concerto starts at about 13:00 here , Wurzburg 2017:

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_lunch-concert?id=2236892
Bozo
2017-07-24 12:52:02 UTC
Berezovsky plays the Rachmaninoff 1st Sonata in France recently :

https://www.francemusique.fr/emissions/le-concert-du-soir/boris-berezovsky-joue-rachmaninov-balkirev-et-liapounov-en-direct-du-festival-radio-france-occitanie-montpellier-2017-35480

The Sonata starts about 30:30 in ; other non-pianos works on the great programme.
Bozo
2017-07-26 18:08:32 UTC
Van Baerle Trio plays the Op.50 Tchaikovsky Piano Trio :

http://www.radio4.nl/luister-concerten/concerten/6816/van-baerle-trio-op-wonderfeel-2017
Bozo
2017-07-27 20:20:42 UTC
Sir Andras Schiff plays the Brahms D minor PC ( on a Bechstein ) with Takacs-Nagy and the Verbier Festival Chamber Orchestra , July 22, 2017 :

http://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/gabor-takacs-nagy-conducts-haydn-schumann-brahms-andras-schiff/

Wonderful performance by all concerned, especially slow mov.

Encore : 1st mov. of Bach’s “Italian” Concerto

Also on programme :

Ludwig van Beethoven, Allegretto (Gratulations-Menuett) for orchestra, WoO 3
Joseph Haydn, Sinfonia Concertante in B-flat Major, Hob I:105
Robert Schumann, Symphony No. 1 in B-flat Major, Op. 38, "Spring"
Bozo
2017-07-28 12:32:20 UTC
Pianist Joep Bevig plays his own solo works :

http://www.radio4.nl/luister-concerten/concerten/6820/pianist-joep-beving-op-wonderfeel-2017

Bio:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/may/13/joep-beving-dutch-pianist-spotify-star-solipsism

Influences of Glass, Satie, Chopin, Paart , David Lanz, one hearing pleasant , but enough.
Bozo
2017-07-28 16:16:18 UTC
Paul Lewis July,2017 at Schwarzenberg :

Bach - Partita No. 1 in B flat, BWV 825.
Beethoven - Sonate pour piano No. 4 in E flat, op. 7.
Schubert - Allegretto in C minor, D. 915.
Schubert - Moment musical in A flat, D. 780/6.
Weber - Sonate pour piano in A flat, op. 39.

Heard only the Bach and Beethoven, which were very fine.

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_lunch-concert?id=2238483 ( Ignore the “Dudamel” title )
Bozo
2017-07-28 17:03:13 UTC
From Joseph Moog’s New York City recital debut July 24,2017 :

http://www.wqxr.org/story/pianist-joseph-moog-makes-his-new-york-recital-debut

Beethoven: Fifteen Variations and Finale alla Fuga on an Original Theme in E-Flat Major, Op. 35 ( "Eroica" Variations)

Max Reger: Träume am Kamin (Dreams by the Fireside), Op. 143

Gershwin: S’Wonderful ( arr. Moog )

I heard only the Reger ( starts approx. 28:50 in ) , my first hearing of the work. Interesting, but not particularly memorable,12 brief pleasant, lyrical, pastoral pieces, seemingly well-played here.
Tony
2017-07-28 17:14:48 UTC
Sergei Babayan's Mozart PC 25 at Verbier a few days ago was beautiful. He'll play again tomorrow:

http://www.worldconcerthall.com/en/schedule/babayan_gerstein_sanchez_gonzalezmonjas_and_friends_play_bach_in_verbier/35808/

Debargue will play the Schubert & the Liszt sonata on Sunday

http://www.worldconcerthall.com/en/schedule/debargue_plays_schubert_and_liszt_in_verbier/35789/

and Pletnev the Schumann PC on Monday

http://www.worldconcerthall.com/en/schedule/mozart_schumann_with_pletnev_and_mendelssohns_scottish_from_verbier/35810/

all videos on Medici I think
HT
2017-07-28 19:15:31 UTC
Post by Bozo
http://www.radio4.nl/luister-concerten/concerten/6820/pianist-joep-beving-op-wonderfeel-2017
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/may/13/joep-beving-dutch-pianist-spotify-star-solipsism
Influences of Glass, Satie, Chopin, Paart , David Lanz, one hearing pleasant , but enough.
Hmmm. No mention of Joep's transcendental pianism? No mention of his revolutionary composing techniques?

Henk
Bozo
2017-07-28 20:40:08 UTC
The Jussen bros play Stravinsky's 2-piano " Sacre " last weekend :

http://www.radio4.nl/luister-concerten/concerten/6821/broers-jussen-spelen-stravinskys-sacre
Bozo
2017-07-28 21:17:30 UTC
The great Janine Jansen in the great Mozart VC # 3,K.216, this past Wednesday in Amsterdam :

http://www.radio4.nl/luister-concerten/concerten/6824/levendig-concert-met-janine-jansen
Bozo
2017-07-28 22:27:07 UTC
Francesco Piemontesi at Verbier , July 26,2017. I heard only the Liszt “ St.Francis” , the Schubert D.959 (!!!) , and the Liszt “Wallenstadt “ ; very glad I did ; a pianist I have followed since his QEB Competition ( he should have won ) in 2007 ; one of his better efforts here :

http://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/piemontesi-plays-mozart-liszt-debussy-schubert/

• Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Piano Sonata No. 10 in C Major, K. 330
• Franz Liszt, Années de pèlerinage, Première année : Suisse, S. 160
◦ Les cloches de Genève : Nocturne (The Bells of Geneva: Nocturne)
• Franz Liszt, Deux Légendes, S. 175
◦ Saint François de Paule marchant sur les flots
• Claude Debussy, Préludes
◦ Book II, No. 1: Brouillards (Mists)
◦ Book I, No. 3: Le vent dans la plaine (The Wind in the Plain)
◦ Book II, No. 4: Les fées sont d'exquises danseuses (Fairies Are Exquisite Dancers)
• Franz Schubert, Piano Sonata No. 20 in A Major, D. 959
• Franz Liszt, Années de pèlerinage, Première année : Suisse, S. 160
◦ At Lake Wallenstadt
• Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy, Tois Études, Op. 104 b
◦ No. 3 in A minor
YM ​יוֹשִׁיוּכִּי
2017-07-28 22:42:32 UTC
Is this music?
Bozo
2017-07-29 16:25:27 UTC
I did not hear all the playing on these two recitals, but feel the following was worth hearing :

Richard Goode plays LvB Op.109 and 110 at 2017 Verbier , my 2 fav LvB sonatas :

http://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/richard-goode-mozart-janacek-beethoven-debussy/

Ji Liu plays Rzewski’s “ Winnsboro Cotton Mill Blues “ and Scriabin’s 10th Sonata at 2017 Verbier :

http://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/ji-liu-schubert-rzewski-liszt-scriabine-debussy-saint-saens/
Bozo
2017-07-30 16:46:21 UTC
Lukas Debargue at 2017 Verbier :

Schubert, Sonata in A minor, D.743
Liszt, Sonata in B minor , S.178
3 encores ( Schumann ?, Liszt ?, Chopin "Heroic" Polonaise )

http://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/lucas-debargue-plays-schubert-liszt/
Bozo
2017-08-01 01:59:08 UTC
A solo piano transcription of Ravel’s “ Daphnis and Chloe” Suite # 2 by Vincenzo Maltempo,played by one Dan Sato :

A recording of Ravel’s own :

m***@cloud9.net

m***@cloud9.net
2017-08-02 02:05:25 UTC
Live S. Richter Schubert, mostly from Moscow.

A new Profil 10-CD box in good monaural sound features Richter in Schubert, mostly solo, with a few otherwise. Most/all of these are supposedly published here for the first time. Its number is PH 17005, and I can highly recommend the set.

Mort Linder
Bozo
2017-08-04 00:53:47 UTC
I did listen to all , but not for my tastes, but perhaps yours :

http://www.radio4.nl/luister-concerten/concerten/6834/klassieke-popmuziek-van-radiohead-wonderfeel-2017

Images oubliées, 1894 - nr.1, "Lent. Mélancholique et doux"
 , Claude Debussy

Exit music (for a film) (Arr.)
 Radiohead

Airbag (Arr.)
Radiohead

Winterchild + Karma police (Arr.)
Joep Franssens

China gates
John Adams

Let down (Arr.)
Radiohead

You (Arr.)
Radiohead

Ralph van Raat waagt zich aan de ‘klassieke popmuziek’ van Radiohead in de sublieme arrangementen van de Amerikaan Christopher O’Riley. Ontdaan van divers instrumentarium, versterkers en effecten blijven de Radiohead-songs in hun meest uitgeklede vorm over. En wat blijkt: de nummers passen wonderbaarlijk goed in de tradities van de romantische en de impressionistische muziek.

Ralph van Raat (piano)
White label 's-Graveland
Bozo
2017-08-04 21:40:48 UTC
Self-recommending ; not to be missed.

The Shostakovich Piano Trios , and Messiaen’s “Quartet for the End of Time “ :

http://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/jansen-maisky-thedeen-frost-debargue-play-shostakovich-messiaen/

From MediciTV :

“The concert opens with two of Shostakovich's Piano Trios. The composer was barely 17 when he composed the first trio, a work that is rarely performed nowadays. Then some 20 years later during World War II Shostakovich composed his second trio, a work dedicated to the memory of his friend Ivan I. Sollertinski (the musicologist, art historian, and literary/music critic) who had suddenly disappeared. Shostakovich's trios are followed by Messiaen's Quatuor pour la fin du temps ("Quartet for the End of Time"), a work he composed while captive in a German prisoner-of-war camp from 1940 to 1941. Inspired by the Bible's Book of Revelation, Messiaen references the Angel of the Apocalypse's announcement of the End of Time: ‘There shall be time no longer.’ “

• Janine Jansen | Violinist
• Mischa Maisky | Cellist ( Shostakovich )
• Torleif Thedéen | Cellist ( Messiaen)
• Martin Fröst | Clarinetist
• Lucas Debargue | Pianist
dk
2017-08-05 04:11:20 UTC
Post by Bozo
[...]
What makes it self-recommending?

dk
YM ​יוֹשִׁיוּכִּי
2017-08-05 04:20:05 UTC
Post by dk
Post by Bozo
[...]
We never know. It was very boring unlike rehearsal for the Piano Quartet or Vadim Rapin recital (it was LvB's fault "Kreutzer" sounded at times too long.).

YM
Neil
2017-08-06 07:40:40 UTC
It's available on Qobuz! I've been sampling it One particularly lovely performance on the (little) A Major on there.
Bozo
2017-08-06 14:57:13 UTC
One particularly lovely performance on the (little) A Major on >there.
Certainly agree if that's the one originally on an EMI (?) lp paired with " Wanderer " ?
Bozo
2017-08-06 16:28:12 UTC
Pletnev plays the Schumann Piano Concerto with Takacs-Nagy at 2017 Verbier, Pletnev always distinctive, here a more leisurely, pastoral, expansive reading of first mov. than I've usually heard (broadcast sound a bit muffled (?) I thought):

http://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/takacs-nagy-conducts-mozart-schumann-mendelssohn-mikhail-pletnev/
Bozo
2017-08-06 22:26:27 UTC
Herbert Schuch , piano

Concert enregistré le 23 juillet 2017 Salle Pasteur au Corum, dans le cadre du festival de Radio France Montpellier

Scarlatti and CPE preparing us for the Beethoven. All in C , the Bach and Scarlatti K.37 preparing us for the 1st mov. of Op.111, Scarlatti K.398 for the Op.111 “Arietta” ( some remarkable “ echoes “ in the Scarlatti ) , yet Schuch making a case Beethoven paying inward, nostalgic hommage to the past in Op.111, even while looking “forward.” Exemplary playing as usual from Schuch. Not to be missed !

Carl-Philipp Emmanuel Bach
Sonate en ut mineur Wq 65:31, H 121

Domenico Scarlatti
Sonate en ut mineur K 37
Sonate en ut Majeur K 398

Ludwig van Beethoven
Sonate n°32 en ut mineur op. 111

About 48 minutes in :

https://www.francemusique.fr/emissions/le-concert-du-dimanche/le-concert-du-dimanche-du-dimanche-6-aout-2017-35760

My first hearing of the Bach , and probably the Scarlattis. All very attractive. I’ll need to explore more of CPE’s sonatas ; recommended recordings ? TIA.
Bozo
2017-08-06 22:32:25 UTC
Post by Bozo
Herbert Schuch , piano
Sorry :

About 59 minutes into the broadcast, not 48.

Extraordinary vs. exemplary.
Frank Lekens
2017-08-07 09:42:23 UTC
Post by Bozo
My first hearing of the Bach , and probably the Scarlattis. All very attractive. I’ll need to explore more of CPE’s sonatas ; recommended recordings ? TIA.
There was a rave review in a Dutch newspaper this week of Alexei
Lubimov's recent recording of CPE Bach works on a tangent piano, a cd
called Tangere. As it's on the ECM label, pretty much the only way to
hear it is to order the cd, I think, since ECM doesn't go in for Spotify
or YouTube or other online (let alone free) distribution methods.

Hah, it's not even listed on their website yet:
https://www.ecmrecords.com/search-advanced/lubimov

It's still to appear:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XV3VMDN

Weird that they already published the review then.
--
Frank Lekens

http://fmlekens.home.xs4all.nl/
Bozo
2017-08-07 12:16:03 UTC
Thanks ! I'll look for it. Do hear the Schuch recital ; be interested in your assessment.
Bozo
2017-08-08 13:05:28 UTC
Cuerteto Casals plays Bartok Quartet # 3 , Sz.85 ( 1927 ), bonus track ( scroll down ), at NYC Frick Collection recently :

http://www.wqxr.org/story/cuarteto-casals-play-mozart-brahms-and-bartok
AB
2017-08-08 17:52:41 UTC
Post by Bozo
Post by Frank Lekens
There was a rave review in a Dutch newspaper this week of Alexei
Lubimov's recent recording of CPE Bach works on a tangent piano, a cd
called Tangere.
Thanks ! I'll look for it. Do hear the Schuch recital ; be interested in your assessment.
he is a wonderful musician.
AB
Frank Lekens
2017-08-09 08:29:38 UTC
Post by AB
Post by Bozo
Post by Frank Lekens
There was a rave review in a Dutch newspaper this week of Alexei
Lubimov's recent recording of CPE Bach works on a tangent piano, a cd
called Tangere.
Thanks ! I'll look for it. Do hear the Schuch recital ; be interested in your assessment.
he is a wonderful musician.
AB
Yes, I liked the recital.

Bozo
2017-08-09 14:40:25 UTC
For Rachmaninoff lovers and/or Pletnev fans, Mikhail Pletnev at 2017 Edinburgh Festival. Some distinctive readings I enjoyed in the first half of this all-Rachmaninoff recital.The Sonata here , for me , was similar to the YT dk posted 2/11/17 of an earlier performance of the Sonata by Pletnev, my concerns same here as expressed in that earlier thread.But, first half here interesting:

Morceaux de fantaisie, Op 3 (No 2, Prelude; No 1, Elégie; No 4, Pulcinella)
Morceaux de salon, Op 10 (No 3, Barcarolle in G minor; No 5, Humoresque in G major)
Prelude in B flat major, Op 23 No 2, 'Maestoso'
Prelude in D major, Op 23 No 4, 'Andante Cantabile'
Prelude in C minor, Op 23 No 7, 'Allegro'
Prelude in G minor, Op 23 No 5, 'Alla marcia'
Prelude in A minor, Op 32 No 8
Prelude in G sharp minor, Op 32 No 12
Etude-tableau in C minor, Op 39 No 7

Pause

Rachmaninov: Piano Sonata No 1 in D minor, Op 28

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0902vpd
Tony
2017-08-09 17:36:48 UTC
Post by Bozo
Morceaux de fantaisie, Op 3 (No 2, Prelude; No 1, Elégie; No 4, Pulcinella)
Morceaux de salon, Op 10 (No 3, Barcarolle in G minor; No 5, Humoresque in G major)
Prelude in B flat major, Op 23 No 2, 'Maestoso'
Prelude in D major, Op 23 No 4, 'Andante Cantabile'
Prelude in C minor, Op 23 No 7, 'Allegro'
Prelude in G minor, Op 23 No 5, 'Alla marcia'
Prelude in A minor, Op 32 No 8
Prelude in G sharp minor, Op 32 No 12
Etude-tableau in C minor, Op 39 No 7
Pause
Rachmaninov: Piano Sonata No 1 in D minor, Op 28
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0902vpd
The program cuts the end of the sonata. Here's the full thing

Bozo
2017-08-09 22:20:11 UTC
Concert donné en direct du Cloître de Saint-Ursanne, en Suisse, dans le cadre du festival Piano à Saint-Ursanne, August 9, 2017.

Giovanni Bellucci, piano

Ludwig van Beethoven

Sonate pour piano n°6 en fa Maj. op.10 n°2
“Andante favori “ , WoO 57 ( programme change )

Sonate pour piano n°28 en la Maj. op.101

Franz Liszt

Paraphrase de concert sur le Miserere de l'opéra "Le Trouvère" S.433

Paraphrase de concert sur "Rigoletto" S.434

Réminiscences de" "Norma" - Grande Fantaisie S.394 )

Encore : Gottschalk, “The Union” ( perhaps chosen, and as a prayer, given our current crisis with North Korea and Trump).

Recital starts about 13:40:00 into this broadcast . After the Op.101 ends about 14:25:00, the Bellucci recital picks up again at about 14:48:00 :

https://www.francemusique.fr/emissions/le-concert-du-soir/recital-giovanni-bellucci-en-direct-du-festival-piano-saint-ursanne-2017-35805

Was going to skip this recital ; glad I did not ! All exemplary ; “Norma” amazing. There was a Dec.,2013 thread here, "Beethoven-Liszt symphonies" that discusses Bellucci and some of his recordings.
Bozo
2017-08-10 13:02:49 UTC
Have not heard yet, but am just now :

Kissin , July 26,2017, I believe at Verbier Festival even though site says at Church of Peace , Swidnica , Poland :

http://www.radio4.nl/luister-concerten/concerten/6841/evgeny-kissin-speelt-beethoven-en-rachmaninov

Sonate voor piano nr.29, op.106 in Bes gr.t., "Hammerklavier" - compleet-
Ludwig van Beethoven

Preludes voor piano ; Sel.
 Sergej Rachmaninov

Stukken voor piano (3), op.2 - nr.1, Etude in cis kl.t.
 Aleksandr Skrjabin

Bagatellen voor piano (6), op.126 - nr.4 in b kl.t., "Presto"
Ludwig van Beethoven

Toccata
Evgeny Kissin

Bozo
2017-08-10 13:23:29 UTC
Post by Frank Lekens
There was a rave review in a Dutch newspaper this week of Alexei
Lubimov's recent recording of CPE Bach works on a tangent piano, a cd
called Tangere.
And another just out on BIS ; I did not see the earlier volumes on Amazon-US , but will look again:

C.P.E. Bach – Solo Keyboard Music, Vol. 33

BIS-2213 | CD EAN 7318590022139 TT: 69'57

Miklós Spányi plays the third collection ‘für Kenner und Liebhaber’

Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach: ‘für Kenner und Liebhaber’, Collection 3
Rondo No.1 in E major, Wq57/1 (H 265)
Sonata No.1 in A minor, Wq57/2 (H 247)
Rondo No.2 in G major, Wq57/3 (H 271)
Sonata No.2 in D minor, Wq57/4 (H 208)
Rondo No.3 in F major, Wq57/5 (H 266)
Sonata No.3 in F minor, Wq57/6 (H 173)
Canzonetta with 6 Variations, Wq118/8 (H 275)

Miklós Spányi, tangent piano
Frank Lekens
2017-08-10 14:56:08 UTC
Post by Bozo
Post by Frank Lekens
There was a rave review in a Dutch newspaper this week of Alexei
Lubimov's recent recording of CPE Bach works on a tangent piano, a cd
called Tangere.
C.P.E. Bach – Solo Keyboard Music, Vol. 33
BIS-2213 | CD EAN 7318590022139 TT: 69'57
Miklós Spányi plays the third collection ‘für Kenner und Liebhaber’
Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach: ‘für Kenner und Liebhaber’, Collection 3
Rondo No.1 in E major, Wq57/1 (H 265)
Sonata No.1 in A minor, Wq57/2 (H 247)
Rondo No.2 in G major, Wq57/3 (H 271)
Sonata No.2 in D minor, Wq57/4 (H 208)
Rondo No.3 in F major, Wq57/5 (H 266)
Sonata No.3 in F minor, Wq57/6 (H 173)
Canzonetta with 6 Variations, Wq118/8 (H 275)
Miklós Spányi, tangent piano
As to complete sets, there's also one by Anna-Marija Markovina on
Hanssler. 26 cd's. Have never heard it. I suspect she plays everything
on a modern piano.
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Carl-Philipp-Emanuel-Bach-S%E4mtliche-Klavierwerke/hnum/4070269

It's on Spotify and some of it is on YouTube.

And then there's Pletnev... bound to be more interesting, one should
think. A single disc on DG. Again, on Spotify and some of it on YouTube.

http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/cat/4596142

Bozo
2017-08-10 15:21:21 UTC
Also found, ordered, a single CPE Bach sonatas cd on Hyperion by pianist Danny Driver ; got good Amazon-US reviews even over Pletnev's.
Ricardo Jimenez
2017-08-10 15:28:48 UTC
There is also a Volume II of Driver's CPE Bach on Hyperion.
Bozo
2017-08-10 18:14:29 UTC
Erno Dohnanyi plays his own works at Edinburgh Festival , 1956 :

Variations on a Hungarian Folk Tune; Pastorale (Hungarian Christmas Song); Adagio from Ruralia Hungarica; Capriccio, Op 23 No 3.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b090gkfn ( About 30 minutes long )
Bozo
2017-08-10 21:21:07 UTC
Thanks, I have Driver's Volume I on the way.
Bozo
2017-08-11 19:39:19 UTC
The Beethoven “Archduke” and Tchaikovsky Op.50 Piano Trios at the 2017 Weilburg Castle Concerts,
Julia Fischer, violin, Daniel Mueller-Schott,cello,Herbert Schuch, piano :

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_lunch-concert?id=2243505

Both fine, particularly enjoyed the Tchaikovsky.
Bozo
2017-08-11 20:38:52 UTC
Rostropovich in 1975 live.

From BBC Radio 3 :

“ In 1974, Russian cellist Rostropovich was exiled from Russia for his outspoken political views against the Soviet government and his support for other high-profile dissidents such as the composer Shostakovich and the writer Solzhenitsyn. This concert at St Cuthbert's Church in Edinburgh marks his appearance the following year at the 1975 Festival with three Suites for solo cello by JS Bach.”

JS Bach: Sarabande from Suite No 2 in D minor, BWV 1008
JS Bach: Suite No 3 in C, BWV 1009
JS Bach: Suite No 6 in D, BWV 1012

Rostropovich apparently referred to the 6th as “ a symphony for the cello.” I think I enjoy No.3 more.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0902zhz
Bozo
2017-08-16 22:23:52 UTC
On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 08:21:21 -0700 (PDT), Bozo>
Also found, ordered, a single CPE Bach sonatas cd on Hyperion by pianist Danny Driver ; got good Amazon->US reviews even over Pletnev's.
Cd arrived , lived up to its great reviews at Amazon-US. Rich, 2 at a time for me. Per the liner notes with which I also agree:

" In fact, his experimentation with rapid mood change, harmonic surprise,rhythmic variety , and rhetorical outburst anticipates in some ways the Romanticsim of the nineteenth century even more then the style of his immediate followers in the eighteenth ( Beethoven, for one, was highly influenced by Emanuel Bach,and critics pointed out the composer's effect on Schumann as well.) The juxtaposition of these traits with elements reminiscent of Bach's high-baroque heritage, however, made his works sit uneasily with many of his contemporaries.Even today, his keyboard music is rarely performed. not because the pieces are unworthy ( they are, in fact astonishing), but because to render them successfully requires a willingness to take risks with tempo, rhythm,articulation and dynamics."
Bozo
2017-08-16 22:58:06 UTC
A bit more unbuttoned :

Jorge Borge, Edinburgh Festival, 1980 :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b090v7qd

Brahms: Variations on a Theme by Handel Op.24

Liszt: Petrarch Sonnet 123

Weber arr. Godowsky: Invitation to the Dance
AB
2017-08-17 01:30:18 UTC
Post by Bozo
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b090v7qd
Brahms: Variations on a Theme by Handel Op.24

Liszt: Petrarch Sonnet 123

Weber arr. Godowsky: Invitation to the Dance
the Brahms is really beautiful........ I heard him live, maybe in the 60s( not sure) and he sure did not play like this. His playing was so variable from absolutely world class to indifferent.
Surprised by the truly awful piano......

AB

AB
Bozo
2017-08-17 14:49:34 UTC
http://www.wqxr.org/story/watch-dazzling-bottesini-double-bass-concerto

Giovanni Bottesini’s 2nd Concerto ( with piano reduction ) played in 2012 (?) by Rinat Ibragimov, LSO principal double bass emeritus. Whole work ( 3 movs.) about 14 minutes. Bottesini a friend of Verdi per the text. The bassist is the father of violinist Alina Ibragimov. Not sure if Rinat is playing any longer. His recording is apparently OOP ; at least not at Amazon-US.

Worth the hearing !
Bozo
2017-08-18 13:02:14 UTC
Post by Bozo
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b090v7qd
34-yer old Geza Anda, Edinburgh Festival, 1955 , a pianist almost always worth hearing as here :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b090vsw4

Schumann, Symphonic Etudes,Op.13
Bartok, Dance Suite, Op.14
Brahms, Paganini Variations (!!)
HT
2017-08-19 11:59:00 UTC
Post by Bozo
Post by Bozo
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b090v7qd
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b090vsw4
Schumann, Symphonic Etudes,Op.13
Bartok, Dance Suite, Op.14
Brahms, Paganini Variations (!!)
Many thanks! A great pianist! BTW the commentator compared him with Alexander Borowski. That didn't do justice to Anda.

Henk
Bozo
2017-08-20 14:49:05 UTC
Described by the BBC presenter as " experimental piano music " , I heard only the 90 minutes or so consisting of the solo piano works , all played by pianist Zuban Kanga. Worth the hearing ; interesting discussion of each work :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b091w89r

Very minimal “ Minimilism “ , although with Romantic and Impressionist influences as well :

Laurence Crane
20th Century Music

Tim Parkinson
2016 No.1

Bryn Harrison
Piano Set (Six Miniatures)

Nicholas Peters
Cube

Sergei Zagny
Piece No.2

Kate Moore
Spin Bird

Zubin Kanga
Studies in Portraiture

Alex Nikiporemko
I Love Nature and Everything Around Me

Andrew Hamilton
Hunt in the Forest of Ros

Sergei Zagny
Piece No.3

Per BBC :

“ Ivan Hewett introduces a concert of new music for piano given earlier this summer at St John's Church, Waterloo, as part of the (2017) Waterloo Festival. The concert was curated by 840, a London-based experimental music concert series. Zubin Kanga, who joins Ivan in the studio, performs works by Laurence Crane, Tim Parkinson, Bryn Harrison, Nicholas Peters, Sergei Zagny, Kate Moore, Alex Nikiporenko, Andrew Hamilton and himself. 840 was founded in 2014 by the composers Alex Nikiporenko and Nicholas Peters, and each event focuses on a particular instrument or chamber instrumentation. Also tonight, the second of four archive features celebrating the 40th edition this year of the Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival. Andrew Kurowski talks to Robert Worby about the festival's 'Electronic Soundworlds' of the 1980 and 90s, including Iannis Xenakis's Taurhiphanie, and Luigi Nono's La Lontananza Nostalgica Utopica Futura, recorded by the BBC in 1995 and performed by Irvine Arditti (violin) and André Richard (sound dif.).”
Bozo
2017-08-20 15:59:09 UTC
Post by Bozo
Described by the BBC presenter as " experimental piano music "
And some older " experimental " :

Concert enregistré le 23/07/17 à la Salle Pasteur du Corum à Montpellier, dans le cadre du Festival Radio France Occitane Montpellier.

Alban Berg
Sonate pour piano op 1

Arnold Schönberg
Suite pour piano op 25

Béla Bartok
Sept Bagatelles pour piano op 6 (extraits)

Anton Webern
Variations pour piano op 27

Pierre Boulez
Sonate pour piano n°1

Florent Boffard, piano

About 57 minutes into this broasdcast :

https://www.francemusique.fr/emissions/le-concert-du-dimanche/le-concert-du-dimanche-du-dimanche-20-aout-2017-35971
Bozo
2017-08-22 16:41:00 UTC
From past Edinburgh Festivals .Per the BBC : " James Galway in a rare appearance as chamber musician with Jessye Norman in 1979, performing Ravel's Sheherazade plus Strauss songs, and Liszt's great Fantasia quasi sonata, inspired by a reading of Dante, performed by Jorge Bolet in 1980."

Ravel: Shéhérazade
Jessye Norman, soprano
Dalton Baldwin, piano
James Galway, flute

Strauss: Heimliche Aufforderung; Heimkehr; Seitdem dein Aug'; Lob des Leidens; Cäcilie
Jessye Norman, soprano
Dalton Baldwin, piano

Liszt: Fantasia quasi sonata 'après une lecture du Dante'
Jorge Bolet, piano
Bozo
2017-08-25 16:08:46 UTC
Fascinating work by Gieseking I'd not heard :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b091wfbh

Walter Gieseking (1895-1956), Chaconne on a Theme by Scarlatti after Keyboard Sonata in D minor K 32
Joseph Moog (piano)
Bozo
2017-08-25 19:48:49 UTC
For Saint- Saens fans, a Saint-Saens fest, 2 of my fav works of his or in fact in CM, the Violin Concerto # 3 going back to my first introductions to CM, the Piano Concerto # 5 a more recently acquired taste :

Joshua Bell at 2017 Verbier Festival:

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_lunch-concert?id=2247674

Cedric Tiberghien at 2017 Proms :

https://www.francemusique.fr/emissions/le-concert-du-soir/les-siecles-et-cedric-tiberghien-interpretent-saint-saens-delibes-et-cesar-franck-au-proms-2017-36072

Bell milks the VC too much, my preference still the more elegant Francescatti I have on a 50’s Columbia masterworks lp. Tiberghien almost makes a case for placing the PC among the “ great “ Romantic concertos.

Pray for Texas. And plenty other places across the World as well , Yemen, Darfur, North Korean “camps”, et.al.
Bozo
2017-08-29 18:23:29 UTC
While I have not heard , probably will not hear, this, Berg fans here might be interested in this free VOD of the 2017 Salzburg Festival "Wozzeck " :

http://www.medici.tv/en/others/berg-wozzeck-salzburg-festival/
Bozo
2017-08-29 21:42:03 UTC
Wonderful performance of the Rachmaninoff 4th PC at 2017 Proms, Leif Ove Andsnes/Vasily Petrenko/Oslo Phil : http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b092k4sn
HT
2017-08-30 07:06:38 UTC
Post by Bozo
Wonderful performance of the Rachmaninoff 4th PC at 2017 Proms, Leif Ove Andsnes/Vasily Petrenko/Oslo Phil : http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b092k4sn
Thanks for the link. Excellent performance by Andsnes/Petrenko.

Henk
Bozo
2017-08-30 12:20:30 UTC
You're welcome. Perhaps a little ragged at the very end, but live of course and excellent overall.Apparently Andsnes is playing the #4 often this season. The slow mov. at times seems as if it could have been composed by Grieg. The rarely-heard Sibelius "Romanza " encore was a treat ; I once tried ( and failed ) to learn that piece.
Bozo
2017-08-30 16:30:54 UTC
The rarely-heard Sibelius "Romanza " encore was a treat ; I once tried ( and >failed ) to learn that piece.
Cherkassky playing that Sibelius:

Bozo
2017-08-31 00:24:19 UTC
With the horrible tragedy in Texas , the North Korean threat , and a self-absorbed, incompetent , faux-President responding ineptly to both, I needed some transcendence , so listened to my "Richter in Leipzig" cd of his 1963 recital ,Beethoven's Opa.109,110,111, still amazing after all these years, now also here :

Bozo
2017-09-05 13:55:19 UTC
Some rarely heard ( at least in my neck of the woods ) Richard Strauss:

Strauss - Cinq Pièces pour piano, op. 3.
Pfitzner - Sextet in G minor, op. 55.
Strauss - Danses, de l'opera 'Capriccio, op. 85', pour violon, violoncelle et piano
Strauss - Sonate pour violon in E flat, op. 18.

Avec Michael Schöch, piano, Robert Oberaigner, clarinette, Matthias Wollong, violon, Michael Horwath, alto, Norbert Anger, violoncelle, Andreas Wylezol, contrebasse

Enregistré le 25 juin 2017 à Garmisch-Partenkirchen

I heard the piano pieces and violin sonata . Perhaps my first hearing of the sonata and of most of the piano. Very nice, especially last mov. in the sonata. Had not realized Heifetz ( as have many others ) recorded the Strauss.
Bozo
Sorry,forgot link : https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_lunch-concert?id=2251134
Bozo
2017-09-05 18:45:28 UTC
Kirill Gerstein,Seymon Bychkov,BBCSO at 2017 Proms in a high-spirited Rachmaninoff PC # 1,some interesting voicing,phrasing by the pianist, who feels the work would be heard more often, better appreciated if known as the " Rach 3 1/2 " :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b093p72m
Bozo
2017-09-07 17:30:22 UTC
Violinist Alina Ibragimova plays one of my fav VC's, Prokofieff # 1 , with Jurowski/LPO at 2017 Proms,think I've only heard her in the Beethoven and Bachs in the concerto repertoire before :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b093p8zz
HT
2017-09-07 18:30:40 UTC
Post by Bozo
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b093p8zz
Thanks, Steve. I love Ibragimova. The Prokofieff is great, although not one of my favorites. I'm a Bartok fan.

Henk
Bozo
2017-09-07 22:45:01 UTC
Doubt JSB anticipated in one sitting , but when you're the mood, and with a glass of cabernet or 12-year old at hand, and after listening to the horrible hurricanes ( 4 ) news, North Korea, Trump, US Congress,famines news , etc , what better way to spend 2 hours ( publically ) :

Sir Andras Schiff plays Bach's WTC Book 1 complete , live at 2017 Proms,hardly a cough from the capacity audience:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b093m78b

I'll defer to the Bachians here , but wow.
Bozo
2017-09-08 21:42:00 UTC
Another fav violin concerto of mine , the Korngold, wonderful reading here by violinist Vilde Frang, RFO under Mikko Franck , Sept.25,2015 , Paris :

https://www.francemusique.fr/emissions/le-concert-du-soir/korngold-et-mahler-par-l-orchestre-philharmonique-de-radio-france-et-mikko-franck-36395
Bozo
2017-08-17 18:32:04 UTC
Post by Bozo
Cd arrived , lived up to its great reviews at Amazon-US.
The pianist Danny Driver’s Hyperion Vol. 1 of CPE Bach Sonatas I purchased is not at YT, but the three mov. G minor Sonata H.47 is on the Driver cd as well as on the 2014 Haenssler cd complete set by pianist Ana-Marija Markovina , the H.47 posted here so you can get a sense of the music:

I found Driver bit more nuanced, colorful , lighter-handed.
Al Eisner
2017-08-11 22:32:46 UTC
Post by Bozo
Also found, ordered, a single CPE Bach sonatas cd on Hyperion by pianist Danny Driver ; got good Amazon-US reviews even over Pletnev's.
Coincidentally, I was browsing new items at BRO today, and noticed this
5-CD set on Brilliant Classics for just $7.45:

Bach, C.P.E. [1714-1788]: 'Sonaten fur Kenner und Liebhaber' {'Sonatas
for Connoisseur and Amateur'}: Clavier?Sonaten nebst einigen Rondos,
Wq56; Clavier?Sonaten nebst einigen Rondos, Wq57; Clavier?Sonaten und
freie Fantasien nebst einigen Rondos, Wq58, Wq59 & Wq61; Sechs
Clavier-Sonaten, Wq55. (Pieter-Jan Belder, fortepiano and
clavichord. Rec. 2012-2013. Total time: 288') [BRO Code: 166593]

I'm entirely unfamiliar with the performer (Belder). Have you heard
anything of his?
Al Eisner
Bozo
2017-08-11 22:46:13 UTC
No. I'm not a pianoforte fan,anyway.
Bozo
2017-08-12 13:21:46 UTC
I love the Ravel Left-Hand PC, here Jean-Philippe Collard with Orchestre symphonique de Montreal under Kent Nugano, August 11,2017 in Montreal, free VOD :

http://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/kent-nagano-osm-jean-philippe-collard-ravel-dukas/

Collard in good form. I have his early EMI lp’s of Faure’s complete Nocturnes and Barcarolles, excellent readings all , as I understand is much of his Rachmaninoff , but have not heard.
Bozo
2017-08-13 03:23:17 UTC
Just started to listen ; recital July 29,2017 ; playing starts about 18:30 in ; hope all goes well :

Daniel Barenboim y Martha Argerich, en gran concierto gratuito junto al Teatro Colón.

Repertorio:
- Sonata para dos pianos en re mayor, KV 448, de Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- Obertura de la ópera de El Holandés Errante, de Richard Wagner, según arreglos de Claude Debussy
- Piezas Danza Española y Danza Napolitana de El Lago de los Cisnes de Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky con arreglos de Debussy
- Bailecito, de Carlos Guastavino.
laraine
2017-09-09 01:24:07 UTC
Post by Bozo
Post by Al Eisner
I'm entirely unfamiliar with the performer (Belder). Have you heard
anything of his?
No. I'm not a pianoforte fan,anyway.
Heard a Philip Hayes keyboard concerto on WFMT
recently, but can't find it on their schedule.
It sounded like a piano, but might have been a pianoforte.
Recommended...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Hayes_(composer)

C.
Bozo
2017-09-10 15:51:08 UTC
Mozart PC # 23,K.488,Clara Haskil,Charles Munch,ORTF, Sept.15,1959,Montreux :

https://www.francemusique.fr/emissions/le-meilleur-des-concerts-radio-france/le-meilleur-des-concerts-de-radio-france-du-dimanche-10-septembre-2017-36425

Recorded piano sound here not complimentary to her, but “ticket price” good.

Per Wiki :

“ Haskil died ( in Dec.,1960) from injuries received through a fall at the staircase of a Brussels train station. She was due to play at a concert with Arthur Grumiaux the following day. She was aged 65.An esteemed friend of Haskil, Charlie Chaplin, described her talent by saying , ‘ In my lifetime I have met three geniuses; Professor Einstein, Winston Churchill, and Clara Haskil. I am not a trained musician but I can only say that her touch was exquisite, her expression wonderful, and her technique extraordinary.’ In a 2013 interview, Pope Francis mentioned Haskil as one of his favorite musicians, especially when performing Mozart.”
Bozo
2017-09-10 23:03:16 UTC
Otto Klemperer,NYPO,1934, Bruckner's 9th ( original ed. ) :

I have the cd from the NYPO commemorative set of radio broadcasts.
Bozo
2017-09-11 13:53:06 UTC
Fans of Bartok, and/or followers of pianist Jeremy Denk ( I am one ) , may wish to hear his 2017 Proms Bartok 2nd PC, with BBCSO under young (?) American conductor Karina Canellakis , Denk also discussing the work and one of his teachers at UI, Gyorgy Sebok, starting about 13:00 into the programme :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b093p72r

Denk impressive I thought.

Per the BBC presenter, the PC was premiered in 1933 ; Bartok played it at the 1936 Proms with Sir Henry Wood.

Opening the programme an interesting new work , Sinfonia (for Orbiting Spheres ) , by Missy Mazzoli , another young American I believe.
Bozo
2017-09-11 16:11:06 UTC
An interesting 90-minute 2016 recital in Barcelona by Spanish pianist Josep Maria Colom :

Bio: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josep_Colom

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09491ht

Frédéric Chopin (1810-1849); Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791):
Prelude in C minor, Op 28/20 ('Funeral March'); Fantasia in C minor, K.475; Ballade no 1 in G minor, Op 23

Enrique Granados (1867-1916); Frédéric Chopin (1810-1849):
Epilogue from the suite 'Romantic Scenes'; Andante spianato and Grande Polonaise brillante, Op 22

Enrique Granados (1867-1916)
El Pelele, from 'Goyescas'

Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750); Frédéric Chopin (1810-1849):
Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWV.846 ; Etude in C major, Op 10/1 ; Prelude, from 'Prelude and Fugue no 15 in G major, BWV.860' ; Etude in G flat, Op 10/5 ; Prelude, from 'Prelude and Fugue no 9 in E major, BWV.854' ; Etude in E flat minor, Op 10/6 ; Prelude, from 'Prelude and Fugue no 5 in E major, BWV.850' ; Etude in F major Op 10/8 ; Prelude, from 'Prelude and Fugue no 21 in B flat, BWV.866' ; Etude in E flat Op 10/11 ; Prelude, from 'Prelude and Fugue no 7 in E flat, BWV.852' ; Nocturne in C minor Op 48/1 ; Prelude, from 'Prelude and Fugue no 2 in C minor BWV.847' ; Etude in C minor Op 25/12 ; Paraphrase on 'Prelude, from 'Prelude and Fugue no 1 in C major BWV.846''

Encores - Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750); Frédéric Chopin (1810-1849):
Prelude, from 'Prelude and Fugue no 3 in C sharp, BWV.848'; Etude in C sharp minor Op 10/4

Not always technically pristine, but engaging throughout , often distinctive.
laraine
2017-09-13 00:48:10 UTC
Post by laraine
Post by Bozo
Post by Al Eisner
I'm entirely unfamiliar with the performer (Belder). Have you heard
anything of his?
No. I'm not a pianoforte fan,anyway.
Heard a Philip Hayes keyboard concerto on WFMT
recently, but can't find it on their schedule.
It sounded like a piano, but might have been a pianoforte.
-->Meant to say 'might have been a fortepiano.'

Here is a hyperion recording of his six concertos for organ,
harpsichord, or fortepiano, with samples of his #4 concerto in
A major. The fortepiano sounds a bit tinny, but not too bad.

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dw.asp?dc=W9685_66700

The whole recording of the A major is on YouTube (and it doesn't
seem to be the hyperion), but the sound is even less clear.

What I heard I believe sounded much closer to a piano (or maybe
an actual pianoforte!)

C.
C.
Tony
2017-08-10 14:56:18 UTC
Babayan playing Bach's 1052 a few days ago at Verbier. This pianist is outstanding

Al Eisner
2017-08-10 19:50:46 UTC
Post by Frank Lekens
There was a rave review in a Dutch newspaper this week of Alexei
Lubimov's recent recording of CPE Bach works on a tangent piano, a cd
called Tangere.
C.P.E. Bach ? Solo Keyboard Music, Vol. 33
BIS-2213 | CD EAN 7318590022139 TT: 69'57
Miklós Spányi plays the third collection ?fÌr Kenner und Liebhaber?
Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach: ?fÃŒr Kenner und Liebhaber?, Collection 3
Rondo No.1 in E major, Wq57/1 (H 265)
Sonata No.1 in A minor, Wq57/2 (H 247)
Rondo No.2 in G major, Wq57/3 (H 271)
Sonata No.2 in D minor, Wq57/4 (H 208)
Rondo No.3 in F major, Wq57/5 (H 266)
Sonata No.3 in F minor, Wq57/6 (H 173)
Canzonetta with 6 Variations, Wq118/8 (H 275)
Miklós Spányi, tangent piano
The first 32 volumes (all with Spanyi) are at MDT for $13.42, but they
occasionally have a BIS sale. BRO has four of them (all, however, on
clavichord) at $6 each, and sometimes more tend to show up there. (I
believe only a few of the 33 are on tangent piano, most on clavichord.)
I've not picked up any of the solo CD's, but have enjoyed several of
the concerto disks.
Al Eisner
Tony
2017-09-13 10:38:39 UTC
video of Debargue & Pletnev playing Ravel's PC a few days ago in Moscow. Starts about 29:40
Tony
2017-09-13 10:39:04 UTC
link for Debargue: http://meloman.ru/concert/ix-bolshoj-festival-rno
Bozo
2017-09-13 18:10:30 UTC
A wonderfully voiced , colorful Rachmaninoff Prelude Op.23,# 2, perhaps the most distinctive ,effective I’ve heard, Welsh pianist Llyr Williams :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b094jnw1

About 1:43:45 into the programme.
Tony
2017-09-14 13:38:31 UTC
Unfortunately his Ravel PC was boring beyond words. WTF was that?
Bozo
2017-09-15 23:06:56 UTC
Probably worth a separate “live” thread :

Kissinger Somer 2017

Rossini - Ouverture de 'William Tell'

Bellini - Deserto è il luogo ... Stolto! Ad un so mio grido, de 'I Capuleti ed I Montecchi'

Donizetti - Ouverture de 'Roberto Devereux' - Ed ancor la tremenda porta. Bagnato il sen di lagrime, de 'Roberto Devereux" -
L'ai-je bien entendu?... O mon Fernand!, de 'La Favorite' - Pas de trois, de 'La Favorite' - Mon idole, Dieu t'envoie, de 'La Favorite'

Bizet - L'amour est un oiseau rebelle, de 'Carmen' (encore Kasarova)

Rossini - La Danza (Tarantelle), de 'Soirées musicales' (encore Vargas)

Avec Vesselina Kasarova, mezzo-soprano, Ramón Vargas, ténor
Munich Radio Orchestra dirigé par Francesco Ivan Ciampa

Enregistré le 9 juillet 2017 à Kissinger

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_lunch-concert?id=2254459

A listening evening for good cheese , good bread, and much cheap shiraz. Both singers in good voice as far as a pianophile can tell.

Not to be missed !
Bozo
2017-09-15 23:10:02 UTC
Post by Bozo
Kissinger Somer 2017
Not to be missed !
Sorry, too much shiraz :

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_lunch-concert?id=2254459
Tony
2017-09-16 17:49:19 UTC
Actually it's not so much that it's boring as that his tone is just so ugly. Those passages which call for gossamer sparkle and all that ethereal mist just sound so....metallic and flat in his hands. Really disappointing. I wouldn't say that tonal beauty is Debargue's preeminent quality anyway, but it really shows up quite poor here. This piece isn't his work at this stage of his life.
Bozo
2017-09-17 14:40:33 UTC
Opening night 2017 for the RCO in Amsterdam. Mozart arias with Diana Damrau . I heard all , but the symphonies.

http://www.radio4.nl/luister-concerten/concerten/6942/rco-opening-night

Don Giovanni KV.527 ; Ouverture

Il re pastore KV.208 ; Akte II - aria (rondo), "L'amerò, sarò costante"

Concertaria KV.528, "Bella mia fiamma... Resta, o cara"

Le nozze di Figaro KV.492 ; Akte III - recitatief + aria, "E Susanna non vien?... Dove sono i bei momenti “

Symfonie nr.8, op.88 in G gr.t. - compleet Antonín Dvorák

Symfonie nr.32, KV.318 in G gr.t. - compleet

Bozo
2017-09-17 17:30:52 UTC
Young cellist I follow, Edgar Moreau,here live in concerti by Platti, Boccherini,Vivaldi,starting about 12:30 into the programme ,with Il Pomo d'oro - Maxim Emelyanychev , dir.:

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_lunch-concert?id=2254875

PLATTI , GIOVANNI BENEDETTO
Concerto pour violoncelle en ré majeur, D-WD. 650

VIVALDI , ANTONIO
Concerto pour violoncelle en la mineur, RV. 419

BOCCHERINI , LUIGI
Concerto pour violoncelle en ré majeur, B. 479
Bozo
2017-09-18 02:31:21 UTC
Pleasantly surprised ; individual first mov reading ; wonderful final mov.; Khatia Buniatishvili plays the Schumann PC with Mehta, Israel Phil. at Tsinandali Festival in Georgia ( video ) :

https://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/zubin-mehta-enescu-schumann-tchaikovsky-khatia-buniatishvili-and-israel-philharmonic-orchestra/

But , her choice of encore ( I did not hear ) : the Liszt 2nd Rhapsody.
Bozo
2017-09-22 19:57:38 UTC
Pierre-Laurent Aimard,piano, at Aldeburgh Festival, June 23,2017 .Unfortunately the podcast jumbles up all the works’ order even splitting the Bach, but still worth a listen.

J.S. Bach - Suite française No. 2 in C minor, BWV 813

Schubert - Valse No. 12 in G minor, provenant de '20 Waltzes, D. 146 - Excerpts from '17 Ländler, D. 366 - Excerpts from '38 Waltzes, Ländler and Ecossaises, D. 145 - Excerpts from '12 German Dances, D. 790'

Schumann - Valse allemande et Valse noble, provenant de 'Carnaval, op. 9'

Chopin - Trois Mazurkas

Bartók - Schweinehirtentanz, No. 40, provenant de 'For Children - Ostinato, No. 146, de 'Microkosmos'

Followed then by his 2005 cd with Chamber Orchestra of Europe in Mozart’s K.595 ( 27th) PC.

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_lunch-concert?id=2257455

Bozo
2017-09-18 02:32:55 UTC
Pleasantly surprised ; individual reading ; Khatia Buniatishvili plays the Schumann PC with Mehta, Israel Phil. at Tsinandali Festival in Georgia ( video ) :