Recordings of live performances of note - XVII
2017-07-13 23:29:08 UTC
Wonderful programme, seemingly excellent playing ( quartetophiles can comment ) by one Alma Quartet ( my first hearing of them and of the Schulhoffs) , July 11,2017, in the Kleine zaal of the Concertgebouw, Amsterdam :

http://www.radio4.nl/luister-concerten/concerten/6798/franse-strijkkwartet-muziek

• Strijkkwartet nr. 2 - compleet Erwin Schulhoff
• Strijkkwartet - compleet Claude Debussy
• Strijkkwartet nr. 8 “Dresden" - compleet Dmitri Sjostakovits
• Divertimento voor strijkkwartet, op.14 - deel IV, "Romanze. Ruhig fließend" Erwin Schulhoff
• Strijkkwartet - compleet Maurice Ravel

From Radio 4 :
“ Het Alma Quartet bestaat uit drie leden van het Koninklijk Concertgebouworkest en cellist Nitzan Laster van het Nederlands Philharmonisch Orkest. Hun eerste album bundelde alle kwartetmuziek van Erwin Schulhoff. “

The Shostakovich a bit reserved ? The Debussy stunning, the very brief Schulhoff Op.14 mov. a gem.

Bozo
2017-07-14 01:59:00 UTC
Marvelous !!

Per the YT poster :

"The Orchestra of the University of Music FRANZ LISZT Weimar (Conductor: Prof. Nicolás Pasquet), Ravel's Piano concerto for the left hand. Pianist Hélène Tysman finishes her final exam at the LISZT UNIVERSITY with this concert.
The concert took place at the Neue Weimarhalle on December 8th, 2011"

Bozo
2017-07-18 13:34:26 UTC
Very intimate, “ laid-back “ , but rich, wonderful performance of the Rach 2 at 2017 Proms by Behzod Abduraimov,well-supported by BBCNOW / Sondergard. Was not planning to listen to all , but did after hearing about the first half of the first mov. ( BTW, Abduraimov played a post-concerto encore, an appropriateTchaikovsky nocturne.) Bit of trouble hearing the woodwinds in 2nd mov. Great programme includes the symphonies No. 7 of Sibelius, No. 10 of Shostakovich , I’ve yet to hear.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08xz332
Bozo
2017-07-19 00:01:39 UTC
It always amazes me the Shostakovich VC # 1 can be played live. Here — OMG. The silence during in huge Albert Hall says all , as does the ovation at the end.

Nicola Benedetti, BBCNOW,Sondergard, 2017 Proms :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08xzwtb

And an encore !?! By Robert Burns !!

Not to be missed.
Tony
2017-07-19 06:23:49 UTC
Very intimate, “ laid-back “ , but rich, wonderful performance of the Rach 2 at 2017 Proms by Behzod Abduraimov,
Not saying it isn't, but the beginning sounds awful to me. I decided to stop there.
Bozo
2017-07-19 11:19:46 UTC
Agreed, I felt the opening chords could have been played better and was concerned with initial tempii when the orchestra first entered, but got much better quickly, IMHO.
Bozo
2017-07-19 11:22:02 UTC
Agreed, I felt the opening chords could have been played better and was concerned with initial tempii >when the orchestra first entered, but got much better quickly, IMHO.
Abduraimov said his model was the Van Cliburn recording ( the studio on RCA with Reiner I believe ), one I also like , but I preferred Abduraimov here.