Hungerford's Beethoven redux
Sol L. Siegel
2012-03-15 04:20:42 UTC
Bruce Hungerford's complete Beethoven (much-reissued previously) is
announced in a 5-CD box on Piano Classics:

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product/NR_April12_Classical/PCLM0036.htm

But wait a minute. Didn't he record Op. 79? I'm certain that he did,
even though I can't find my copy. Or is my memory failing me (again)?

- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
Frank Berger
2012-03-15 05:49:02 UTC
"Sol L. Siegel" <***@aol.com> wrote in message
> Bruce Hungerford's complete Beethoven (much-reissued previously) is
> announced in a 5-CD box on Piano Classics:
>
> http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product/NR_April12_Classical/PCLM0036.htm
>
> But wait a minute. Didn't he record Op. 79? I'm certain that he did,
> even though I can't find my copy. Or is my memory failing me (again)?
>
> - Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA

It's not in my Vanguard box. Do you suppose this release has recording
dates more specific that Vanguard's 1965-1977?
Frank Berger
2012-03-15 05:55:52 UTC
"Frank Berger" <***@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "Sol L. Siegel" <***@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Bruce Hungerford's complete Beethoven (much-reissued previously) is
>> announced in a 5-CD box on Piano Classics:
>>
>> http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product/NR_April12_Classical/PCLM0036.htm
>>
>> But wait a minute. Didn't he record Op. 79? I'm certain that he did,
>> even though I can't find my copy. Or is my memory failing me (again)?
>>
>> - Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
>
> It's not in my Vanguard box. Do you suppose this release has recording
> dates more specific that Vanguard's 1965-1977?

Actually, I see that they do. The Piano Classics website narrows that to
1967-1976. Big improvement.
td
2012-03-15 10:11:32 UTC

What does it matter?
Alan Cooper
2012-03-15 11:52:46 UTC
"Sol L. Siegel" <***@aol.com> wrote in

> Bruce Hungerford's complete Beethoven (much-reissued previously)
> is announced in a 5-CD box on Piano Classics:
>
> http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product/NR_April12_Classical/PCLM003
> 6.htm
>
> But wait a minute. Didn't he record Op. 79? I'm certain that
> he did, even though I can't find my copy. Or is my memory
> failing me (again)?

I don't have the recording dates handy, but here's a post of mine from August
2005:

>Hungerford recorded 22 sonatas for Vanguard, on LP as follows:

> VCS 10055: opp. 27/1; 78; 110
> VCS 10056: opp. 26; 27/2; 79
> VCS 10084: opp. 2/1&2
> VCS 10085: opp. 7; 10/1
> VSD 71172: opp. 109; 111
> VSD 71174: opp. 13; 31/2
> VSD 71187: opp. 10/2&3
> VSD 71186: opp. 49/1&2; 53
> VSD 71252: opp. 14/1&2; 31/3

>They'd make up a nice boxed set on CD, don't you think?

I guess they do!

AC
Peter H.
2012-03-15 13:55:22 UTC

So this set contains 18 of the 22 sonatas he recorded, the same 18 that were released on the 3 2-CD slimline sets from Vanguard a few years ago. No op. 79, op. 14/1&2, and no op. 31/3. But they have managed to turn it from 6 CDs to 5 CDs. That is a shame, as I dearly love op. 79.
Frank Berger
2012-03-15 22:41:03 UTC

I've seen no evidence that Hungerford recorded op. 79.
Alan Cooper
2012-03-16 02:43:17 UTC

> "Peter H." <***@gmail.com> wrote in message
> bkc1... On Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:52:46 AM UTC-4, Alan
> Cooper wrote:
>> "Sol L. Siegel" <***@aol.com> wrote in
>>
>> > Bruce Hungerford's complete Beethoven (much-reissued
>> > previously) is announced in a 5-CD box on Piano Classics:
>> >
>> > http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product/NR_April12_Classical/PCLM
>> > 003 6.htm
>> >
>> > But wait a minute. Didn't he record Op. 79? I'm certain
>> > that he did, even though I can't find my copy. Or is my
>> > memory failing me (again)?
>>
>> I don't have the recording dates handy, but here's a post of
>> mine from August
>> 2005:
>>
>> >Hungerford recorded 22 sonatas for Vanguard, on LP as follows:
>>
>> > VCS 10055: opp. 27/1; 78; 110
>> > VCS 10056: opp. 26; 27/2; 79
>> > VCS 10084: opp. 2/1&2
>> > VCS 10085: opp. 7; 10/1
>> > VSD 71172: opp. 109; 111
>> > VSD 71174: opp. 13; 31/2
>> > VSD 71187: opp. 10/2&3
>> > VSD 71186: opp. 49/1&2; 53
>> > VSD 71252: opp. 14/1&2; 31/3
>>
>> >They'd make up a nice boxed set on CD, don't you think?
>>
>> I guess they do!
>>
>> AC
>
> So this set contains 18 of the 22 sonatas he recorded, the same
> 18 that were released on the 3 2-CD slimline sets from Vanguard
> a few years ago. No op. 79, op. 14/1&2, and no op. 31/3. But
> they have managed to turn it from 6 CDs to 5 CDs. That is a
> shame, as I dearly love op. 79.
>
> I've seen no evidence that Hungerford recorded op. 79.

Did you think I made it up?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vanguard-Stereo-BEETHOVEN-Piano-Sonatas-HUNGERFORD-VG-
/360359281054

Don't buy it, though: it doesn't exist.

2012-03-16 03:30:38 UTC
Alan Cooper wrote:
> "Frank Berger" <***@gmail.com> wrote in
>

>> "Peter H." <***@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> bkc1... On Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:52:46 AM UTC-4, Alan
>> Cooper wrote:
>>> "Sol L. Siegel" <***@aol.com> wrote in

>>> I don't have the recording dates handy, but here's a post of
>>> mine from August
>>> 2005:

>>> I guess they do!
>>>
>>> AC
>>
>> So this set contains 18 of the 22 sonatas he recorded, the same
>> 18 that were released on the 3 2-CD slimline sets from Vanguard
>> a few years ago. No op. 79, op. 14/1&2, and no op. 31/3. But
>> they have managed to turn it from 6 CDs to 5 CDs. That is a
>> shame, as I dearly love op. 79.
>>
>> I've seen no evidence that Hungerford recorded op. 79.
>
> Did you think I made it up?
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vanguard-Stereo-BEETHOVEN-Piano-Sonatas-HUNGERFORD-VG-
> /360359281054
>
> Don't buy it, though: it doesn't exist.
>
> AC

Well, I see no reason for you be so snotty about it. I searched and failed
to find it. Hence my statement. The first reference to op. 79 was Sol
Siegel's in which he said he thought, but apparently wasn't sure op. 79 was
recorded. I didn't see your post in which you provided "evidence" that op.
89 existed. A simple mistake on my part. Not the first I've made and not
the last. Usually my mistakes are received more graciously.
Steve Emerson
2012-03-16 05:27:02 UTC
In article <***@supernews.com>,
"Frank Berger" <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> Alan Cooper wrote:
> > "Frank Berger" <***@gmail.com> wrote in
> >

> >> "Peter H." <***@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> bkc1... On Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:52:46 AM UTC-4, Alan

> >> So this set contains 18 of the 22 sonatas he recorded, the same
> >> 18 that were released on the 3 2-CD slimline sets from Vanguard
> >> a few years ago. No op. 79, op. 14/1&2, and no op. 31/3. But
> >> they have managed to turn it from 6 CDs to 5 CDs. That is a
> >> shame, as I dearly love op. 79.
> >>
> >> I've seen no evidence that Hungerford recorded op. 79.
> >
> > Did you think I made it up?
> >
> > http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vanguard-Stereo-BEETHOVEN-Piano-Sonatas-HUNGERFORD-V
> > G-
> > /360359281054
> >
> > Don't buy it, though: it doesn't exist.
> >
> > AC
>
> Well, I see no reason for you be so snotty about it. I searched and failed
> to find it. Hence my statement. The first reference to op. 79 was Sol
> Siegel's in which he said he thought, but apparently wasn't sure op. 79 was
> recorded. I didn't see your post in which you provided "evidence" that op.
> [79] 89 existed.

But you quoted it, Frank. It's right there, up above.

> A simple mistake on my part. Not the first I've made and not
> the last. Usually my mistakes are received more graciously.

Well, in reading through the post, I reached the same conclusion that
Alan did, for the reason just noted. Anyway, I'm sure everyone's ready
to move on. (Just as I'm sure no one's surprised that the new release
merely duplicates what had already been digitized.)

I'll have to keep an eye open for LPs, because I think his Tempest
(31/2) is one of the few really good ones, and a 31/3 would be good to
hear.

SE.
Frank Berger
2012-03-16 13:48:12 UTC
Steve Emerson wrote:
> In article <***@supernews.com>,
> "Frank Berger" <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Alan Cooper wrote:
>>> "Frank Berger" <***@gmail.com> wrote in

>>> Did you think I made it up?
>>>
>>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vanguard-Stereo-BEETHOVEN-Piano-Sonatas-HUNGERFORD-V
>>> G-
>>> /360359281054
>>>
>>> Don't buy it, though: it doesn't exist.
>>>
>>> AC
>>
>> Well, I see no reason for you be so snotty about it. I searched and
>> failed to find it. Hence my statement. The first reference to op.
>> 79 was Sol Siegel's in which he said he thought, but apparently
>> wasn't sure op. 79 was recorded. I didn't see your post in which
>> you provided "evidence" that op. [79] 89 existed.
>
> But you quoted it, Frank. It's right there, up above.

I replied to a message. I said I didn't see the reference to op. 79.

>> A simple mistake on my part. Not the first I've made and not
>> the last. Usually my mistakes are received more graciously.
>
> Well, in reading through the post, I reached the same conclusion that
> Alan did, for the reason just noted.

So I guess you and Alan concluded that I lied about not seeing the reference
to op. 79. Why on earth would I do that?
wade
2012-03-16 16:01:09 UTC
On Mar 16, 6:48 am, "Frank Berger" <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> Steve Emerson wrote:
> > In article <***@supernews.com>,

> >> Well, I see no reason for you be so snotty about it.  I searched and
> >> failed to find it.  Hence my statement.  The first reference to op.
> >> 79 was Sol Siegel's in which he said he thought, but apparently
> >> wasn't sure op. 79 was recorded.  I didn't see your post in which
> >> you provided "evidence" that op. [79] 89 existed.
>
> > But you quoted it, Frank. It's right there, up above.
>
> I replied to a message.  I said I didn't see the reference to op. 79.
>

> >> A simple mistake on my part.  Not the first I've made and not
> >> the last.  Usually my mistakes are received more graciously.
>
> > Well, in reading through the post, I reached the same conclusion that
> > Alan did, for the reason just noted.
>
> So I guess you and Alan concluded that I lied about not seeing the reference
> to op. 79.    Why on earth would I do that?

There really isnt any need to go into personal attacks on any grounds
is there? Isnt the real issue here that it was lazy and Stupid for
the Piano Classics people to leave out what would amount to another
CD's worth of recordings so that the set contained all Hungerford's
Vanguard Beethoven?
Steve Emerson
2012-03-16 17:49:14 UTC
In article <_4-***@supernews.com>,
"Frank Berger" <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Well, in reading through the post, I reached the same conclusion that
> > Alan did, for the reason just noted.
>
> So I guess you and Alan concluded that I lied about not seeing the reference
> to op. 79.

Alan put up his post before you said you hadn't seen the reference. I
was merely stating that I had read your earlier post, the one he saw,
the same way he did. Certainly I believe, now, that you hadn't seen the
reference (despite quoting it).

OK?

SE.
Frank Berger
2012-03-16 18:45:15 UTC
Steve Emerson wrote:
> In article <_4-***@supernews.com>,
> "Frank Berger" <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Well, in reading through the post, I reached the same conclusion
>>> that Alan did, for the reason just noted.
>>
>> So I guess you and Alan concluded that I lied about not seeing the
>> reference to op. 79.
>
> Alan put up his post before you said you hadn't seen the reference. I
> was merely stating that I had read your earlier post, the one he saw,
> the same way he did. Certainly I believe, now, that you hadn't seen
> the reference (despite quoting it).
>
> OK?
>
> SE.

It would have been entirely OK if you hadn't parenthetically added "despite
quoting it." Do you really think that replying to a post and "quoting it"
means that you've read and recalled everything that you "quoted?" Probably
you don't think that, so your parenthetical remark serves to justify your
own view on this, which wasn't really necessary, or to scold me for quoting
without being aware of what I was quoting, or to imply that I was lying.
Whatever, it wasn't necessary.
John Wiser
2012-03-16 20:08:04 UTC
> Steve Emerson wrote:

>>> So I guess you and Alan concluded that I lied about not seeing the
>>> reference to op. 79.
>>
>> Alan put up his post before you said you hadn't seen the reference. I
>> was merely stating that I had read your earlier post, the one he saw,
>> the same way he did. Certainly I believe, now, that you hadn't seen
>> the reference (despite quoting it).
>>
>> OK?
>>
>> SE.
>
> It would have been entirely OK if you hadn't parenthetically added
> "despite quoting it." Do you really think that replying to a post and
> "quoting it" means that you've read and recalled everything that you
> "quoted?" Probably you don't think that, so your parenthetical remark
> serves to justify your own view on this, which wasn't really necessary, or
> to scold me for quoting without being aware of what I was quoting, or to
> imply that I was lying. Whatever, it wasn't necessary.
You are whining, Frank.
You have been too close to Tepster and downwind.
I suspect you know that you are generally considered a jerk.
So now you are bucking for a promotion to Abrasive Jerk?
It's yours.

JDW
Bozo
2018-08-17 00:10:43 UTC
I have his Vanguard Classics cd of Opa. 109-111. Wonderful and cheap now at Amazon -US :

https://tinyurl.com/yckzo3ge

Re-heard tonight. One can hear the varying influences of his teachers Friedman, Hess,Friedberg. The liner notes dont give the recording date, other than one can conclude had to be between his Carnegie recital of 1965 , which the notes say triggered Vanguard's offer to him to record all the LvB sonatas , and his death in an auto accident in 1977.My Vanguard was remastered in 1992, released 1993 ; there is a later 2-cd set and a later box. As with all here, I have several of these, but very glad have Hungerford's, which are at YT, FWW.
Frank Berger
2018-08-17 01:55:48 UTC
On 8/16/2018 8:10 PM, Bozo wrote:
> I have his Vanguard Classics cd of Opa. 109-111. Wonderful and cheap now at Amazon -US :
>
> https://tinyurl.com/yckzo3ge
>
> Re-heard tonight. One can hear the varying influences of his teachers Friedman, Hess,Friedberg. The liner notes dont give the recording date, other than one can conclude had to be between his Carnegie recital of 1965 , which the notes say triggered Vanguard's offer to him to record all the LvB sonatas , and his death in an auto accident in 1977.My Vanguard was remastered in 1992, released 1993 ; there is a later 2-cd set and a later box. As with all here, I have several of these, but very glad have Hungerford's, which are at YT, FWW.

The Vanguard Hungerford Beethoven sonatas were released on the Piano
Classics label as well. My database says that ops. 109 and 111 were
recorded in 1967 and op. 110 in 1969. I assume I got that from the
liner notes, but can't put my hands on it to check right now.
Bozo
2018-08-17 02:04:51 UTC

Thanks !
td
2012-03-16 10:16:37 UTC
On Mar 15, 11:30 pm, "Frank Berger" <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> Usually my mistakes are received more graciously.

Which is matched by your own graciousness, of course.

NOT!

TD
td
2012-03-15 12:49:16 UTC
On Mar 15, 7:52 am, Alan Cooper <***@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:
> "Sol L. Siegel" <***@aol.com> wrote innews:***@130.133.4.11:
>
> > Bruce Hungerford's complete Beethoven (much-reissued previously)
> > is announced in a 5-CD box on Piano Classics:
>
> >http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product/NR_April12_Classical/PCLM003
> > 6.htm
>
> > But wait a minute.  Didn't he record Op. 79?  I'm certain that
> > he did, even though I can't find my copy.  Or is my memory
> > failing me (again)?
>
> I don't have the recording dates handy, but here's a post of mine from August
> 2005:
>
> >Hungerford recorded 22 sonatas for Vanguard, on LP as follows:
> > VCS 10055: opp. 27/1; 78; 110
> > VCS 10056: opp. 26; 27/2; 79
> > VCS 10084: opp. 2/1&2
> > VCS 10085: opp. 7; 10/1
> > VSD 71172: opp. 109; 111
> > VSD 71174: opp. 13; 31/2
> > VSD 71187: opp. 10/2&3
> > VSD 71186: opp. 49/1&2; 53
> > VSD 71252: opp. 14/1&2; 31/3
> >They'd make up a nice boxed set on CD, don't you think?

So, he DID do Op. 79.

TD
John Thomas
2012-03-15 15:28:49 UTC
In article <***@130.133.4.11>,
"Sol L. Siegel" <***@aol.com> wrote:

> Bruce Hungerford's complete Beethoven (much-reissued previously) is
> announced in a 5-CD box on Piano Classics:
>
> http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product/NR_April12_Classical/PCLM0036.htm
>
> But wait a minute. Didn't he record Op. 79? I'm certain that he did,
> even though I can't find my copy. Or is my memory failing me (again)?
>
> - Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA

But is there any reason to buy these with or without Op. 79? I picked
up all the Vanguard CD's that were reissued a few years ago and listened
to them but didn't hear anything all that special and eventually traded
them. I've got Schnabel, Kovacevich, Gulda, Annie Fischer, Kempff
stereo, and most or all of the Beethoven recordings by Richter and
Gilels, with the Arrau reissue preordered. Is there any reason I should
need to reconsider Hungerford?
John Thomas
td
2012-03-15 15:36:17 UTC
On Mar 15, 11:28 am, John Thomas <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article <***@130.133.4.11>,
>  "Sol L. Siegel" <***@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Bruce Hungerford's complete Beethoven (much-reissued previously) is
> > announced in a 5-CD box on Piano Classics:
>
> >http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product/NR_April12_Classical/PCLM0036.htm
>
> > But wait a minute.  Didn't he record Op. 79?  I'm certain that he did,
> > even though I can't find my copy.  Or is my memory failing me (again)?
>
> > - Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
>
> But is there any reason to buy these with or without Op. 79?  I picked
> up all the Vanguard CD's that were reissued a few years ago and listened
> to them but didn't hear anything all that special and eventually traded
> them. I've got Schnabel, Kovacevich, Gulda, Annie Fischer, Kempff
> stereo, and most or all of the Beethoven recordings by Richter and
> Gilels, with the Arrau reissue preordered.  Is there any reason I should
> need to reconsider Hungerford?

I never heard anything special in Hungerford. I have the LPs, but not
the CDs.

TD