Decca Opera on Blu Ray
2017-07-19 02:12:34 UTC
So fat I have heard the following recent blu ray releases 0 the 1959 Sutherland Lucia, the 1962 Price Tosca, the 1966 Tristan (DGG), the 1971 Sutherland Rigoletto, the 1972 Sutherland Turandot, the 1961 Nilsson Salome and the 1968 Nilsson Elektra. Now others may be interested in transfer rates and other technical information and I am as well but the bottom line is when I just forget all that lean back and listen to the music. In every case the sound has more impact then the previous LP and CD releases from the ominous timpani thuds at the beginning of Lucia, to the harmonium at the beginning of Salome to the various differentiated bells in Tosca. The sound palette seems wider and deeper and in some cases esp the operas recorded in the Sofiensaal Vienna the difference is really major - the sound seems to float on columns of air. So far it has been a real pleasure to hear these.
Ed Presson
2017-07-19 16:45:18 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
music. In every case the sound has more impact then the previous LP and CD
releases from the ominous timpani thuds at the beginning of Lucia, to the
harmonium at the beginning of Salome to the various >differentiated bells
in Tosca. The sound palette seems wider and deeper and in some cases esp
the operas recorded in the Sofiensaal Vienna the difference is really
major - the sound seems to float on columns >of air. So far it has been a
real pleasure to hear these.
I have only the Solti Ring on Blu-Ray, but I certainly concur with your
description of the improvement.

Ed Presson
Oscar
2017-08-07 01:09:16 UTC
Solti Nilsson Elektra on the stereo now. Standard redbook CD. BOOM!! Magnifique!

Remastered in 24-bit/96 kHz by Paschal Byrne at Audio Archiving Ltd, London.
Oscar
2017-08-07 01:16:20 UTC
Quote from back cardboard panel:

"Undoubtedly one of the greatest performances ever on record ... This is possibly Solti's most notable operatic recording. It's a work peculiarly well suited to Solti's gifts and it's his best recording in the studios. He successfully maintains the nervous tension throughout the unbroken drama and conveys all the power and tension in Strauss's enormously complex score which is, for once, given complete."
-Gramophone [date not listed]

BRAVO!
m***@gmail.com
2017-08-07 04:37:28 UTC
Nilsson is really incredible - the only singer I know who actually sings all the notes (and not only because the performance is complete) at their proper times and pitches and sounds like she could so it all over again at the end!! Other may be a bit more personal but there is not a line from Nilsson that is not intelligently sung. Resnik is a step or two past her prime but she really brings out the characters emotional ambivalence . From there the descent is precipitous to the tattered worn sounding singing of Collier and Krause who continually jabs at the line - all the nobility is gone with no legato. Solti and the Vienna are at there Sofiensaal magnificence. Culshaws sound effects are sometimes too much - Resniks triumphant laugh when she hears of Orestes supposed death was magnificent in the theatre - done in time to the music and very effective and hear its ruined by echo effects. A wonderful recording in places but if only it had been Rysanek and Schoffler!!!!
Nicholas G
2017-08-07 15:57:02 UTC
Is the Bohm Tristan also remastered in 24-bit/96 kHz by Paschal Byrne at Audio Archiving Ltd, London?

Thanks,
Nicholas
m***@gmail.com
2017-08-07 16:26:58 UTC
No info on who did the remastering in the booklet
Oscar
2017-08-07 21:02:40 UTC
Nicholas, the publishing date for these new BD sets are all p) 2017, indicating a new remaster. The sound on the Solti Elektra is certainly not as harsh and strident as the previous remaster from (pretty sure it was) 2000, which was also marketed as 24/96. It was not so easy on the ears. In 2006/07 that remaster was reissued as a Decca Originals in a jewel box.
w***@hotmail.com
2017-08-08 00:03:45 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Oscar
[...]
Personally I preferred the laugh on the Bohm-Borkh-Madiera Elekra