Karajan redundancy - all UMG recordings in a single pkg
2017-07-05 10:23:33 UTC
Surprised Dana did not give us advanced warning on this monster.

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/herbert-von-karajan-complete-recordings-on-deutsche-grammophon-decca/hnum/7483243
Herman
2017-07-05 12:27:47 UTC
330 cds.
you have to be out of your mind to want that.
Randy Lane
2017-07-05 13:13:31 UTC
330 cds.
you have to be out of your mind to want that.
Perhaps you'd prefer hi-res download?
How long wold that take, even with a 1 GB internet connection?

All long playing Blu-Ray might have been a better idea IMHO.
Herman
it's not the material heft; I would not want 500 or more hours of one person's music making.
m***@gmail.com
2017-07-05 17:07:57 UTC
This was previously released as a "not original issue layout set" on 240 CDs
f***@yahoo.com
2017-07-05 18:48:10 UTC
I would buy it if it comes with an authentic autograph by Karajan.
Dana John Hill
2017-07-05 20:30:50 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Surprised Dana did not give us advanced warning on this monster.
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/herbert-von-karajan-complete-recordings-on-deutsche-grammophon-decca/hnum/7483243
I have not seen this on Universal's main website, but it is a curious thing.

On one hand, the previous Karajan boxes (1960s, 1970s, 1980s) might
appeal to some collectors who have favorable opinions of Karajan's
conducting during those days, and/or those who fondly recall buying his
recordings back then on LP and liked the mini-LPs and appreciate the
remastered sound vs. the previous CD versions. One could choose to buy
one of the boxes or all three. They issued the vocal music in a separate
box. And I know the Decca stuff has been issued, and the videos
separately, as well.

By definition, anyone who would spend eight hundred euro on CDs is a
hardcore collector - not some casual listener just wondering what this
Karajan guy's all about. Surely this collector would have purchased the
decade boxes.

This must be Universal Classics' final statement on Karajan. I don't see
where else they can go from here.

If I could have made a wish, though, it'd be that they'd have done this
with Claudio Abbado and let people enjoy the Karajan boxes they already
have. Instead I see that they're releasing "Claudio Abbado: The Opera
Recordings" which has no printed libretti from what I see, so won't be
gracing my shelves.

Dana
Randy Lane
2017-07-06 10:06:59 UTC
A complete UMG Neville Mariner set would be another item more desirable than this Karajan box. It would probably be nearly as massive too.
But all of the audio engineering part of the Karajan set is done, so I am certain this set makes more financial sense to UMG.
m***@gmail.com
2017-07-07 14:11:10 UTC
You could have said the same about RCA's Toscanini. But they've proven there's always somewhere else to go.
Al Eisner
2017-07-10 20:18:00 UTC
By definition, anyone who would spend eight hundred euro on CDs is a hardcore
collector - not some casual listener just wondering what this Karajan guy's
all about. Surely this collector would have purchased the decade boxes.
But there probably is a market. For example, the European Space Agency
will no doubt want to deposit a box each on the Moon and Mars. And who
knows how many can be sold to insert in cornerstones of public buildings.
Not to mention potential time capsules.
w***@hotmail.com
Next step is selected bluray releases with corresponding hi-res digital downloads
dk
2017-07-15 16:25:55 UTC
Post by Dana John Hill
This must be Universal Classics' final statement on
Karajan. I don't see where else they can go from here.
Open the casket and clone him from his DNA? ;-)

dk
w***@hotmail.com
2017-07-15 18:18:12 UTC
Post by Dana John Hill
This must be Universal Classics' final statement on
Karajan. I don't see where else they can go from here.
Open the casket and clone him from his DNA? ;-)
dk
Fluffy, the basement tapes!!!