Sony 65cd NYPO 175th Anniv. Edition - 07/04/2017
2017-01-19 12:04:56 UTC
Found on JPC this morning

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/175th-anniversary/hnum/5086627
Jerry
2017-01-19 17:35:14 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Found on JPC this morning
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/175th-anniversary/hnum/5086627
Interesting that, according to the image of the box, neither Maazel nor
Gilbert are represented. Maazel could be a consequence of having no licensed
recordings within the current SONY family, but there is a Gilbert/Gershwin
collaboration on RCA.

If only the Mitropoulos items were offered separately! If only, if only!!

Jerry
c***@gmail.com
2017-01-19 17:47:52 UTC
Post by Jerry
Post by Randy Lane
Found on JPC this morning
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/175th-anniversary/hnum/5086627
Interesting that, according to the image of the box, neither Maazel nor
Gilbert are represented. Maazel could be a consequence of having no licensed
recordings within the current SONY family, but there is a Gilbert/Gershwin
collaboration on RCA.
If only the Mitropoulos items were offered separately! If only, if only!!
Jerry
If your primary interest is Mitropoulos it behooves you to sign up for Symphonyshare. 'Nuff said.

AC
Jerry
2017-01-20 00:17:22 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by Jerry
Post by Randy Lane
Found on JPC this morning
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/175th-anniversary/hnum/5086627
Interesting that, according to the image of the box, neither Maazel nor
Gilbert are represented. Maazel could be a consequence of having no licensed
recordings within the current SONY family, but there is a Gilbert/Gershwin
collaboration on RCA.
If only the Mitropoulos items were offered separately! If only, if only!!
Jerry
If your primary interest is Mitropoulos it behooves you to sign up for Symphonyshare. 'Nuff said.
AC
It just seems that all of the Mengelberg, Toscanini, Stokowski, and Barbirolli
items (save for the Barbirolli Sibelius 4th) have been circulating on CD
for several years now. The material appearing for the first time in Authorized
releases is predominantly in the Rodzinski and Mitropoulos group.

Jerry
drh8h
I think they mean Barbirolli Sibelius 2. Rodzinski made the first recording of 4 with the NYP.
Bill Anderson
2017-01-23 22:49:56 UTC
Post by drh8h
Post by Jerry
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by Jerry
Post by Randy Lane
[...]
That Rodzinski Sibelius 4th studio recording has, AFAIK, not been offered commercially since its issue as a 78 rpm set! It is a fine reading, though it has anemic sound. I hope the engineer who did the transfer was able to access the 16 inch lacquers instead of the 78 sides, assuming they still exist.

- Bill
Al Eisner
2017-01-19 18:05:51 UTC
Post by Jerry
Post by Randy Lane
Found on JPC this morning
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/175th-anniversary/hnum/5086627
Interesting that, according to the image of the box, neither Maazel nor
Gilbert are represented. Maazel could be a consequence of having no licensed
recordings within the current SONY family, but there is a Gilbert/Gershwin
collaboration on RCA.
If only the Mitropoulos items were offered separately! If only, if only!!
Jerry
The label indicates a 1995 end-point. At the other end, I would be
impressed if they could go one conductor farther back and present some
unknown recording by Mahler. :)
Jerry
2017-01-19 18:44:20 UTC
Thanks. Good catch. I didn't notice the 1995 end point.

Jerry
Lawrence Chalmers
2017-01-20 00:01:08 UTC
Original Jackets?
Jerry
2017-01-20 00:17:06 UTC
Lawrence Chalmers
2017-01-20 15:31:50 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Found on JPC this morning
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/175th-anniversary/hnum/508
I'd buy this for all the items since I don't have the past releases of the contents. What really excites me is the inclusion of the Mitropoulos items. I hope the remasterings are good
for the entire set.
RiRiIII
2017-01-22 13:54:46 UTC
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
Post by Randy Lane
Found on JPC this morning
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/175th-anniversary/hnum/508
I'd buy this for all the items since I don't have the past releases of the contents. What really excites me is the inclusion of the Mitropoulos items. I hope the remasterings are good
for the entire set.
Larry

acc to my understanding regarding the Mitropoulos items, out of 20 works, 7 appear officialy for the first time, as follows. All other have been issued on CD either internationally or only in Japan (Verklaerte Nacht):

Dimitri Mitropoulos
DISC: 22
NEW, Gould: Philharmonic Waltzes(January 23, 1950)
UA Saint-Saëns: Omphale’s Spinning Wheel (January 23, 1950)
NEW, Rabaud: La Procession nocturne (January 23, 1950)
NEW, Saint - Saëns: La Jeunesse d’Hercule (January 9, 1956)
SONY FRANCE, Saint - Saëns: Phaëton (January 9, 1956)
NEW, Skalkottas: Four Greek Dances (January 9, 1956)

DISCS 23 -24
SONY, Berg: Wozzeck with Mack Harrell and Eileen Farrell (live, April 12 –13 and 15, 1951)
SONY, Schoenberg: Erwartung with Dorothy Dow (November 19, 1951)
SONY, Křenek: Symphonic Elegy for String Orchestra (April 21, 1951)
DISC 25:
NEW, Borodin: Symphony No. 2 (November 2, 1953)
UA Borodin: In the Steppes of Central Asia (April 20, 1953)
UA Ippolitov - Ivanov: Caucasian Sketches (April 20, 1953)
DISC 26:
NEW, Scriabin: Symphony No. 4, The Poem of Ecstasy (Apr il 20, 1953)
UA Scriabin: Prometheus, The Poem of Fire with Leonid Hambro (April 20, 1953)
NEW, Tchaikovsky: Orchestral Suite No. 1 (October 18 and November 17, 1954)
DISC 27:
SONY, Shostakovich: Symphony No. 10 (October 18, 1954)
SONY, JP Schoenberg: Verklärte Nacht (March 3, 1958)
DISC 28:
SONY, Prokofiev: Selections from Romeo and Juliet (November 11, 1957)
SONY, Tchaikovsky: Marche slave (November 11, 1957)
SONY, Mussorgsky: Night on Bald Mountain (November 11, 1957)
SONY GB, SONY JP Vaughan Williams: Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis (March 3, 1958)
m***@gmail.com
WOW some great material there
Terry
Can anyone advise if the Shostakovich 10th Symphony is available on its own these days?
Jerry
2017-01-23 15:10:21 UTC
Last seen on a Sony Masterworks Portrait CD MPK 45698, coupled
with the Kurtz/NY Philharmonic DSCH 9th.

Jerry
RiRiIII
2017-01-24 16:15:04 UTC
Post by Jerry
Last seen on a Sony Masterworks Portrait CD MPK 45698, coupled
with the Kurtz/NY Philharmonic DSCH 9th.
Jerry
And is also currently available in Japan coupled with the 5th and that 9th.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICC-1601
Terry
Thanks. That's useful.
c***@gmail.com
2017-01-26 03:34:10 UTC
Post by Terry
Post by RiRiIII
Post by Jerry
Last seen on a Sony Masterworks Portrait CD MPK 45698, coupled
with the Kurtz/NY Philharmonic DSCH 9th.
Jerry
And is also currently available in Japan coupled with the 5th and that 9th.
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICC-1601
Thanks. That's useful.
A thread on Symphonyshare discussed the defects in both CD issues of the Kurtz 9th, but the Mitropoulos 10th is fine, and the Japanese issue sounds very good.

AC
Kerrison
2017-03-06 07:06:43 UTC
I wonder how the transfer of the Stokowski / Vaughan Williams 6th Symphony compares with the Cala release? His RVW6 had previously come out on a Sony CD, coupled with Mitropoulos in RVW4, but this Music-Web review states that "Cala have had access to the original lacquer discs and remastering has gone right back to the source material. The difference in sound quality between the two is quite remarkable. The veil that hung over the Sony has been well and truly lifted and the benefits are those of transparency, immediacy, clarity and definition." Presumably this multi-CD set uses those same lacquers too, rather than the dull tape copies that were used for the old RVW 4 & 6 coupling? ...

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2004/May04/StokowskiVW6.htm
Mark Obert-Thorn
2017-03-25 00:38:29 UTC
Just got my NYP 175th Anniversary set in yesterday ($139.42 "ex VAT" from Amazon UK, including postage to the USA -- I see domestic Amazon has just brought its price down closer to this than the $199.99 they were asking until recently), and I've been sampling through it. Some first impressions:

- If there was a previous CD transfer of anything, Sony re-used it for this release. Thus, we have the 25-year-old, pre-CEDAR declicking versions of the Toscanini studio recordings, as well as Mengelberg's Heldenleben and Beecham's Don Quixote -- still good, but could be quieter by today's standards. (I haven't A/B-ed the later LP-era recordings to see if the "latest and greatest" transfers have been used, but that's usually the practice with Sony in these sets.)

- Some of the new transfers of items from 78s are full and open-sounding, but very ticky and sometimes from extremely noisy sources (Stransky acoustics, Mengelberg early electrics). The new transfers from Columbia lacquers of 1940s material that I've sampled so far, however, sound excellent.

- The 65-CD set includes 25 CDs devoted to Bernstein, but only one-and-a-half featuring Mengelberg, not even all of his electrics. While some guest conductors are represented (Munch, Kostelanetz), others who recorded extensively with the NYP like Szell and Efrem Kurtz are omitted entirely. Similarly, Stravinsky and Berio are featured conducting their own works, but not Milhaud and Hindemith.

- Some of the CDs have comparatively short running times, and could have been used to feature more recordings which have not yet had "official" CD reissues from Sony. Examples of this are the discs with Walter's Mahler Fourth alone, and Rodzinski's cut version of the Rachmaninoff Second.

Despite some carpings, I'm glad I got the set and look forward to delving more into it in the coming weeks.

Mark O-T
drh8h
Sounds like another of those "mixed bag" compilations. I am going to get it primarily for those 1940s recordings. It seems bizarre or just cost-cutting, this overemphasis on Bernstein, while leaving out or minimizing other important conductors. I think all of the Mitropoulos items have been reissued before, quite a few by United Archives, in first rate transfers. I just wonder if they recycled that tired old tape transfer, probably from the 1950s, of the world premiere recording of the complete Act 3 of Walküre. It appeared on the Retrospect or was it Retrospective label long ago. As for the earlier materials, at least they are leaving the noisy items noisy which is better than bungling the noise reduction. (Or finding a better source?)
Mark Obert-Thorn
2017-03-25 15:07:23 UTC
I just wonder if they recycled that tired old tape transfer, probably from the 1950s, of the world premiere recording of the complete Act 3 of Walküre. It appeared on the Retrospect or was it Retrospective label long ago. As for the earlier materials, at least they are leaving the noisy items noisy which is better than bungling the noise reduction. (Or finding a better source?)>
The new Fanfare review of this set (available online only at the moment) says that the Walkure Act 3 is the same as the earlier Retrospective CD transfer. Oddly, it has applause at the end. James North's NYP discography says it was recorded over three Carnegie Hall sessions, and there is no indication that it was done live.

As for leaving items noisy, while I agree as far as denoising goes (it can often be abused and overdone), there's no excuse over the past 20 years or so not to use _some_ version of computerized declicking, or at least manually remove the most offending clicks and pops (IMO, anyway -- I always try to do it).

One more guest conductor I thought of who should have been included in the set: Cantelli, whose only commercial recording with the NYP (The Four Seasons) is owned by Sony, and hasn't been generally available from them. Another lost opportunity . . . (The Fanfare review says that the set was originally supposed to be 85 CDs and was cut back by Sony to 65, so maybe some of these missing items were intended to be included.)

Mark O-T
drh8h
2017-03-25 20:42:13 UTC
Post by Mark Obert-Thorn
[...]
I think any poster to this group could come up with a more comprehensive and representative collection of the NYP recordings for Sony and its predecessors. Alas! I will still buy it though, for the reason stated.

Dennis
JohnA
I noticed in the published contents that it claims that the Bernstein Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique was the 1968 version. But the CD appears to be identical to the Royal Edition version which, although it claimed to be the 1968, was actually the 1963. Can you clarify for us which version is actually included in the box?
Mark Obert-Thorn
2017-03-25 23:23:33 UTC
Post by JohnA
I noticed in the published contents that it claims that the Bernstein Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique was the 1968 version. But the CD appears to be identical to the Royal Edition version which, although it claimed to be the 1968, was actually the 1963. Can you clarify for us which version is actually included in the box?
The timings are identical to the Great Performances series CD, which claims to be 1968, except for a few extra seconds at the beginning and end of the earlier release. I don't have the Royal Edition CD to check against that.

Mark O-T
Gerard
2017-03-26 10:02:09 UTC
Post by JohnA
I noticed in the published contents that it claims that the Bernstein Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique was the 1968 version. But the CD appears to be identical to the Royal Edition version which, although it claimed to be the 1968, was actually the 1963. Can you clarify for us which version is actually included in the box?
Timings of the 1963 recording (on CD): 13:13 - 6:08 - 17:08 - 4:45 - 9:43
Timings of the 1968 recording (on LP): 12:27 - 6:04 - 15:00 - 4:24 - 9:23

As performance the older (1963) recording is much, much to be preferred over the 1968 one.
I have the 1963 recording CD in the "Bernstein Century" series.
Mark Obert-Thorn
2017-03-26 13:01:18 UTC
Post by Gerard
Timings of the 1963 recording (on CD): 13:13 - 6:08 - 17:08 - 4:45 - 9:43
Timings of the 1968 recording (on LP): 12:27 - 6:04 - 15:00 - 4:24 - 9:23
Timings of the version in the NYP 175th box (from the CD itself):
12:33 - 6:09 - 15:05 - 4:29 - 9:33

The third movement is the giveaway -- it has to be the 1968 remake.

MO-T
JohnA
Thanks for the responses.
Gerard
Based on the timings it has to be the 1968 remake as well.
drh8h
Apparently LB did not think so since he redid it so soon and with such a drastic change in interpretation. Same for the LvB 7th. I think in both cases the earlier had better sound, the later better performance.
Gerard
2017-03-27 09:51:29 UTC
Post by drh8h
Post by Gerard
Post by JohnA
I noticed in the published contents that it claims that the Bernstein Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique was the 1968 version. But the CD appears to be identical to the Royal Edition version which, although it claimed to be the 1968, was actually the 1963. Can you clarify for us which version is actually included in the box?
Timings of the 1963 recording (on CD): 13:13 - 6:08 - 17:08 - 4:45 - 9:43
Timings of the 1968 recording (on LP): 12:27 - 6:04 - 15:00 - 4:24 - 9:23
As performance the older (1963) recording is much, much to be preferred over the 1968 one.
I have the 1963 recording CD in the "Bernstein Century" series.
Apparently LB did not think so since he redid it so soon and with such a drastic change in interpretation.
Did Munch make better recordings after his first one? Maybe not.
Or Davis after his 2nd one (with the Concertgebouw Orchestra)? Probably not.

AFAIK Bernstein's 2nd recording was made at the occasion of an tour through Europe with his orchestra, and they needed something new as "promotion" material.
Don't know about the Beethoven symphony. But the earlier Berlioz recording was a much, much better performance imo.
m***@gmail.com
2017-03-27 22:15:48 UTC
Post by drh8h
Same for the LvB 7th. I think in both cases the earlier had better sound, the later better performance.
Don't know about the Beethoven symphony. But the earlier Berlioz recording was a much, much better performance imo.
I think 1968 was the year of his Young People's Concert titled "Berlioz Takes a Trip," in which he made references to the late-1960s fashion of using hallucinogenic drugs like LSD. That might have been one reason for the re-examination and re-recording of the Berlioz.

Mark
r***@gmail.com
2017-03-27 23:23:28 UTC

That's what it said on the cover of my UK CBS LP. A promo for the tour partly funded by the US government. (Can't just have great Russian artists touring: there's a cold war on!)
Gerard
2017-03-28 09:50:33 UTC
Post by drh8h
Same for the LvB 7th. I think in both cases the earlier had better sound, the later better performance.
Don't know about the Beethoven symphony. But the earlier Berlioz recording was a much, much better performance imo.
I think 1968 was the year of his Young People's Concert titled "Berlioz Takes a Trip," in which he made references to the late-1960s fashion of using hallucinogenic drugs like LSD. That might have been one reason for the re-examination and re-recording of the Berlioz.
On the 1963 recording CD in the "Bernstein Century" series Bernstein's "Berlioz Takes A Trip" (recorded in 1968) is included.
Imo the 1968 remake of the symphony is mostly such a "trip", and less a symphony.
s***@gmail.com
2017-01-23 19:07:43 UTC
I would hope that some of this is available singly. That Masterworks Portrait disc of the Shosy 10th was a little muffed in sound. Or a good download.

Stan Punzel
JohnA
2017-01-20 23:52:32 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Found on JPC this morning
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/175th-anniversary/hnum/5086627
Complete contents

http://nyphil.org/~/media/pdfs/newsroom/1617/Releases/sony-175-compilation-content-list-final.pdf
Dana John Hill
2017-01-21 17:32:04 UTC
Post by JohnA
Post by Randy Lane
Found on JPC this morning
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/175th-anniversary/hnum/5086627
Complete contents
http://nyphil.org/~/media/pdfs/newsroom/1617/Releases/sony-175-compilation-content-list-final.pdf
Mehta's tenure is hardly represented. Wasn't he music director into the
1990s?

Dana
hustlefan
2017-01-21 19:05:35 UTC
Post by Dana John Hill
Pre-orders at Amazon.com, April 7, for $200: https://www.amazon.com/New-York-Philharmonic-175th-Anniversary/dp/B01M5FQZCK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484860898&sr=8-1&keywords=889853363629&tag=smarturl-20

Publicity article: http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Sony-Classical-Celebrates-NY-Philharmonics-175th-Season-With-CD-Release-47-20170120
wanwan
2017-01-22 02:07:12 UTC
Post by Dana John Hill
Post by JohnA
Post by Randy Lane
Found on JPC this morning
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/175th-anniversary/hnum/5086627
Complete contents
http://nyphil.org/~/media/pdfs/newsroom/1617/Releases/sony-175-compilation-content-list-final.pdf
Mehta's tenure is hardly represented. Wasn't he music director into the
1990s?
Dana
Orchestra didn't have a contract with Sony or BMG through most of his career in NY and I think he was still a Decca artist. Plus that was the nadir of recordings with U.S. orchestras.

Eric
s***@gmail.com
2017-01-22 05:33:37 UTC
There were a few CBS/Sony recordings. Pictures/LaValse, Eroica, Heldenleben, a Brahms cycle that has been issued recently. There might be more, what I was able to recall w/o a search.

Stan Punzel
Jerry
2017-01-22 16:26:22 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
There were a few CBS/Sony recordings. Pictures/LaValse, Eroica, Heldenleben, a Brahms cycle that has been issued recently. There might be more, what I was able to recall w/o a search.
Stan Punzel
I believe there is now only one Mehta/New York recording from the Sony
archives of released material that hasn't made it to CD [Beethoven 5th
and 8th Symphonies]. Could be wrong.

There's also an interesting previously unreleased item. The Kostelanetz
"Through the Looking Glass" by Deems Taylor is not mentioned in James
H. North's New York Philharmonic discography (2006) but is included in his
later Kostelanetz discography (2010). It claims that the orchestra was
the New York Philharmonic, but that a note in the payment sheet says
"non-Philharmonic recording." Oops.

Well, that's a whole other story (established symphony orchestras
making recordings under a nom du disque) that could be a real nightmare
to document.

Jerry
wanwan
2017-01-22 02:09:04 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Found on JPC this morning
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/175th-anniversary/hnum/5086627
Wish that the orchestra would have issued the previously unreleased Toscanini stuff for the 175th anniversary. I for one prefer the sound the Philharmonic of the era over the NBC SO.

Eric
i***@gmail.com
2017-01-22 06:34:52 UTC
They chose Toscanini's Brunswick version of the Midsummer Night's Dream Scherzo instead of the Victor?
RiRiIII
2017-01-22 13:57:17 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Found on JPC this morning
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/175th-anniversary/hnum/5086627
Thanks!

Apart from the Mitropoulos items, Berio conducting his own Sinfonia is also very welcomed.
Lawrence Chalmers
2017-03-26 17:01:42 UTC
Will this issue feature original jackets?
Mark Obert-Thorn
2017-03-26 19:20:53 UTC
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
Will this issue feature original jackets?
No, just a generic design for the jacket and CD label. It would have been difficult to do, since most of the CDs are coupled differently than the original releases, and some even feature a mix of recordings from different labels (Victor and Columbia).

Mark O-T
RiRiIII
2017-08-03 20:07:53 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Found on JPC this morning
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/175th-anniversary/hnum/5086627
87.90 euro at amazon.it: https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B01M5FQZCK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Mitropoulos Borodin 2nd and the Skalkottas Dances, both never reissued digitally officially, sound phenomenal. Truly great!