New Hyperion piano cd's
2017-08-09 14:08:52 UTC
Marc-Andre Hamelin plays Morton Feldman’s “ For Bunita Marcus” , and Howard Shelley conducts and plays Piano Concertos 2 and 4 by Cipriani Potter (1792 - 1871 ). Anyone heard these cd’s or the works ? TIA.

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/
h***@btinternet.com
2017-08-10 12:51:21 UTC
I'm curious about the Feldman, and I like the music. However, I was so disappointed by Hamelin's Mozart sonatas that I can't bring myself to buy it. It's like his Mozart is an incoherent mixture of glib comedy and intrusive inexpressive rubato.
Lawrence Kart
2017-08-10 14:45:17 UTC
Post by h***@btinternet.com
I'm curious about the Feldman, and I like the music. However, I was so disappointed by Hamelin's Mozart sonatas that I can't bring myself to buy it. It's like his Mozart is an incoherent mixture of glib comedy and intrusive inexpressive rubato.
I can't imagine that Hamelin's gifts, such as they are, would be compatible with Feldman's music. Besides there already are several fine recordings "For Bunita Marcus."

Larry Kart
Lawrence Kart
2017-08-10 14:54:22 UTC
Post by Lawrence Kart
Post by h***@btinternet.com
I'm curious about the Feldman, and I like the music. However, I was so disappointed by Hamelin's Mozart sonatas that I can't bring myself to buy it. It's like his Mozart is an incoherent mixture of glib comedy and intrusive inexpressive rubato.
I can't imagine that Hamelin's gifts, such as they are, would be compatible with Feldman's music. Besides there already are several fine recordings "For Bunita Marcus."
Larry Kart
My favorite, which I think can be ordered direct from the pianist, is Louis Goldstein's:

http://college.wfu.edu/sites/louis-goldstein/recordings/for-bunita-marcus
Bozo
2017-08-11 22:49:24 UTC
Thanks. The YT excerpt of Hamelin's suggests I would not connect with the music , but that's just me.
i***@gmail.com
2017-08-12 01:04:24 UTC
How do you imagine that Hamelin plays Feldman?
Lawrence Kart
2017-08-12 02:19:18 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
Post by Lawrence Kart
Post by h***@btinternet.com
I'm curious about the Feldman, and I like the music. However, I was so disappointed by Hamelin's Mozart sonatas that I can't bring myself to buy it. It's like his Mozart is an incoherent mixture of glib comedy and intrusive inexpressive rubato.
I can't imagine that Hamelin's gifts, such as they are, would be compatible with Feldman's music. Besides there already are several fine recordings "For Bunita Marcus."
How do you imagine that Hamelin plays Feldman?
Guess I didn't make myself clear. I have no specific idea of how Hamelin would play Feldman. Rather, based on what I've heard of Hamelin, it seems to that his tendencies (or gifts if you prefer) would not be compatible with the nature and virtues of Feldman's music. In particular, the challenges of playing Feldman's "For Bunita Marcus" are not significantly digital but conceptual, even (if you will) spiritual.

Larry Kart
i***@gmail.com
Understood. It just seems to me that knowing how Hamelin plays Haydn or Scriabin or Ives or Godowsky doesn't give us much to go on when thinking about how he might approach Feldman. I'm skeptical of the notion that we can predict that MAH is unlikely to succeed with Feldman, while having no ideas about how he's likely to fail.
h***@btinternet.com
2017-08-12 15:59:06 UTC
I hope you'll buy the recording and tell us what it's like.
Lawrence Kart
2017-08-12 18:01:38 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
Post by Lawrence Kart
Post by i***@gmail.com
Post by Lawrence Kart
Post by h***@btinternet.com
[...]
Well, yes, I do have some ideas about how MAH is likely to fail with Feldman. This example is not perfect (MAH is no Horowitz IMO, and Feldman's music is not Mompou's) but would you have expected Horowitz to have been a successful interpreter of Mompou? If not (I wouldn't have thought so), where do you think Horowitz would have failed in that task? It's along those lines I've been thinking.

Larry Kart