Parsifal/knappertsbush
Lawrence Chalmers
2017-07-13 16:20:04 UTC
Of the two offerings on Phillips which is considered the best? I used to have one on lp, the cover of which was primarily in blacks and blues. Which cd issue corresponds to that set?
weary flake
2017-07-13 16:38:28 UTC
I think there's just one for Philips, the 1962 recording.
Randy Lane
2017-07-13 17:25:49 UTC
Now available in limited edition Japanese SACD

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5T2WSK

I would be surprised if it is not released in newly remastered CDs with Blu-Ray bonus disk in next year or so.
Oscar
2017-07-13 19:05:29 UTC
This one will definitely be coming down the pike from UME in hardback CD/BD set w/ notes & libretto. I can't wait.
m***@gmail.com
2017-07-13 19:30:06 UTC
Having been to Bayreuth many times, I can say that the 1962 Philips Parsifal sounds the nearest to how that opera sounds in that theatre. The sound is so warm, balanced and beautiful with the slightly diffuse sound from the covered pit
Sol L. Siegel
2017-07-13 23:58:15 UTC
Post by weary flake
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
Of the two offerings on Phillips which is considered the best? I used
to have one on lp, the cover of which was primarily in blacks and
blues. Which cd issue corresponds to that set?
I think there's just one for Philips, the 1962 recording.
There are three issues that I know of, the expensive first one, the
"Philips 50" (which I own) and the Decca Originals, which I suspect
is pretty similar to the Philips 50. Stage noise or not, I'm
perfectly content with the one I have.

There are other Kna Parsifals, all in mono AFAIK. A 1951 Bayreuth had
various LP issues on London/Decca and made it to CD on Teldec and Naxos.
Then there's Kna's last Parsifal from 1964, with Vickers, expensive on
Orfeo. I believe that's not all.

- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
Frank Berger
2017-07-14 00:18:03 UTC
Post by Sol L. Siegel
Post by weary flake
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
Of the two offerings on Phillips which is considered the best? I used
to have one on lp, the cover of which was primarily in blacks and
blues. Which cd issue corresponds to that set?
I think there's just one for Philips, the 1962 recording.
There are three issues that I know of, the expensive first one, the
"Philips 50" (which I own) and the Decca Originals, which I suspect
is pretty similar to the Philips 50. Stage noise or not, I'm
perfectly content with the one I have.
There are other Kna Parsifals, all in mono AFAIK. A 1951 Bayreuth had
various LP issues on London/Decca and made it to CD on Teldec and Naxos.
Then there's Kna's last Parsifal from 1964, with Vickers, expensive on
Orfeo. I believe that's not all.
- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
1956 Bayreuth - Vinay, Modl, Fischer-Dieskau, Greindl, Hotter

Arkadia 435.4 - sound not too bad
Randy Lane
2017-07-14 00:45:10 UTC
2017-07-14 01:16:22 UTC
Tower link

http://tower.jp/item/4277335/Hans-Knappertsbusch-The-Collection---Parsifal-Recordings
Mr. Mike
2017-07-15 16:40:59 UTC
On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 17:45:10 -0700 (PDT), Randy Lane
You could 13 in one box.
http://www.hmv.co.jp/artist_??????1813-1883?_000000000019275/item_??????????????????????????????????????????1951-64-48CD_7076604
Link does not work.
Sol L. Siegel
2017-07-17 02:00:00 UTC
Post by Mr. Mike
On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 17:45:10 -0700 (PDT), Randy Lane
You could 13 in one box.
http://www.hmv.co.jp/artist_??????1813-1883?_000000000019275/item_?????
?????????????????????????????????????1951-64-48CD_7076604
Link does not work.
The second one Randy posted does (or should):

wkasimer
2017-07-14 01:37:39 UTC
I have the original issue and the Philips 50 issue (I keep one at the office). The sound is identical. In fact, the Philips 50 wasn't remastered in any way, which was fine, because the original issue sounds terrific.
Lawrence Chalmers
2017-07-15 19:02:24 UTC
Does the midline "originals" have a libretto?
m***@gmail.com
2017-07-15 22:57:23 UTC
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
Of the two offerings on Phillips which is considered the best? I used to have one on lp, the cover of which was primarily in blacks and blues. Which cd issue corresponds to that set?
Does the midline "originals" have a libretto?
yes