Discussion:
OT- New State Fair food
(too old to reply)
Bozo
2018-07-19 13:44:58 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Wagnerian or Bruckernian dimensions ?

The " Pickle Popper " sounds great , with a good lager and perhaps some J. Strauss ?

https://www.iowastatefair.org/food/whats-new/
HT
2018-07-19 15:30:52 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Op donderdag 19 juli 2018 15:45:00 UTC+2 schreef Bozo:
> Wagnerian or Bruckernian dimensions ?
>
> The " Pickle Popper " sounds great , with a good lager and perhaps some J. Strauss ?
>
> https://www.iowastatefair.org/food/whats-new/

The "Poffertjes" at least look eatable. Here they are dipped in butter and sprinkled with powdered sugar. Too sweet for my taste. To eat them with strawberries isn't a bad idea!

Henk
Bozo
2018-08-09 14:36:53 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Cookie dough spaghetti with chocolate meatballs , if you're carb levels are too low after a long day walking about the fairgrounds :


https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/entertainment/2018/08/08/iowa-state-fair-cookie-dough-spaghetti-possibly-weird-food-2018-weird-odd-dipped-chocolate/938594002/
HT
2018-08-09 16:29:46 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Op donderdag 9 augustus 2018 16:36:56 UTC+2 schreef Bozo:
> Cookie dough spaghetti with chocolate meatballs , if you're carb levels are too low after a long day walking about the fairgrounds :
>
>
> https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/entertainment/2018/08/08/iowa-state-fair-cookie-dough-spaghetti-possibly-weird-food-2018-weird-odd-dipped-chocolate/938594002/

It certainly is the weirdest food! <g>

Henk
Bozo
2018-08-16 12:47:32 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Winners of Best New Fair Food of 2018 :

1st Place : Apple egg rolls dusted with cinnamon sugar andserved with caramel dipping sauce
2nd Place : Brown sugar pork belly on a stick
3rd Place : Belly up Burger

https://tinyurl.com/y7t4eljd

2nd Place item would not seem to be for the faint of heart, at least per its picture.

https://tinyurl.com/y7t4eljd
Frank Berger
2018-08-16 13:57:27 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 8/16/2018 8:47 AM, Bozo wrote:
> Winners of Best New Fair Food of 2018 :
>
> 1st Place : Apple egg rolls dusted with cinnamon sugar andserved with caramel dipping sauce
> 2nd Place : Brown sugar pork belly on a stick
> 3rd Place : Belly up Burger
>
> https://tinyurl.com/y7t4eljd
>
> 2nd Place item would not seem to be for the faint of heart, at least per its picture.
>
> https://tinyurl.com/y7t4eljd
>

No guts, no glory,
HT
2018-08-16 15:01:43 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
> 2nd Place item would not seem to be for the faint of heart, at least per its picture.
>
> https://tinyurl.com/y7t4eljd

Hmmm. It's clear that food no longer needs to look tastfeful at the Iowa State Fair to win a prize.

Henk
Frank Berger
2018-08-16 15:52:26 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 8/16/2018 11:01 AM, HT wrote:
>> 2nd Place item would not seem to be for the faint of heart, at least per its picture.
>>
>> https://tinyurl.com/y7t4eljd
>
> Hmmm. It's clear that food no longer needs to look tastfeful at the Iowa State Fair to win a prize.
>
> Henk
>

The first person to eat a lobster must have been really, really hungry.
O
2018-08-16 19:52:50 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
In article <VrKdnZb0BN4kAOjGnZ2dnUU7-X-***@supernews.com>, Frank
Berger <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/16/2018 11:01 AM, HT wrote:
> >> 2nd Place item would not seem to be for the faint of heart, at least per
> >> its picture.
> >>
> >> https://tinyurl.com/y7t4eljd
> >
> > Hmmm. It's clear that food no longer needs to look tastfeful at the Iowa
> > State Fair to win a prize.
> >
> > Henk
> >
>
> The first person to eat a lobster must have been really, really hungry.

Not to mention the difficulty of primitive man to find the following
tools:

nutcracker
tiny fork
plastic bib with picture of lobster on it

-Owen
Bozo
2018-08-16 20:19:51 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
>On Thursday, August 16, 2018 at 2:52:58 PM UTC-5, O wrote:
> Not to mention the difficulty of primitive man to find the following
> tools:

And trying to determine : " Current market price-ask your Waiter."
Frank Berger
2018-08-17 01:38:16 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 8/16/2018 4:19 PM, Bozo wrote:
>> On Thursday, August 16, 2018 at 2:52:58 PM UTC-5, O wrote:
>> Not to mention the difficulty of primitive man to find the following
>> tools:
>
> And trying to determine : " Current market price-ask your Waiter."
>

Apologies if I told this story here before:

About 40 or more years ago I was eating at a Hungry Tiger restaurant in
Los Angeles or San Diego with my father and uncle. I ordered a live
Main lobster and mentioned that it didn't have much flavor. To my
embarrassment my uncle called over the waiter and complained and he
brought me another lobster which had the same blah taste. Then the
manager came over and after a bit of small talk told us that by the time
you ate a "live" Maine lobster in California it had been in transit for
many hours and in a declining state of health and would never be as good
as a fresh lobster on the East Coast. He suggested a California
lobster, which would taste great though lacking the big claw. He
brought me one and it was delicious. I'm pretty sure that was the last
lobster I ate, since my wife and I decided to eat strictly kosher not
long thereafter.

Comments on the manager's explanation?
O
2018-08-17 15:11:04 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
In article <b9ednQWyrZeauuvGnZ2dnUU7-***@supernews.com>, Frank
Berger <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/16/2018 4:19 PM, Bozo wrote:
> >> On Thursday, August 16, 2018 at 2:52:58 PM UTC-5, O wrote:
> >> Not to mention the difficulty of primitive man to find the following
> >> tools:
> >
> > And trying to determine : " Current market price-ask your Waiter."
> >
>
> Apologies if I told this story here before:
>
> About 40 or more years ago I was eating at a Hungry Tiger restaurant in
> Los Angeles or San Diego with my father and uncle. I ordered a live
> Main lobster and mentioned that it didn't have much flavor. To my
> embarrassment my uncle called over the waiter and complained and he
> brought me another lobster which had the same blah taste. Then the
> manager came over and after a bit of small talk told us that by the time
> you ate a "live" Maine lobster in California it had been in transit for
> many hours and in a declining state of health and would never be as good
> as a fresh lobster on the East Coast. He suggested a California
> lobster, which would taste great though lacking the big claw. He
> brought me one and it was delicious. I'm pretty sure that was the last
> lobster I ate, since my wife and I decided to eat strictly kosher not
> long thereafter.
>
> Comments on the manager's explanation?

Are you sure it was live, not frozen? Did they have a lobster tank in
the restaurant?

40 or more years ago, it would have been almost impossible to regularly
ship live lobsters coast to coast. Now they can ship them on dry ice
and they'll arrive in 24 hours. That's about the maximum for live
lobsters to live on just ice.

Places like Legal Seafood in Boston (and sundry much cheaper places)
will ship live lobster to the 48 contiguous States. For cooking, I
recommend steaming the lobster for 20 minutes (put in large pan with
boiling water only about 1-2 inches deep and cover). Add sea salt to
the water before boiling. Yum.

When in Maine and looking for good steamed lobster, I recommend the
Ogonquit Lobster Pound, or the Lincolnville Lobster pound. Both will
get you a great tasting lobster. (In case you're ever tempted to cheat
on that kosher diet, Frank!)

-Owen
Frank Berger
2018-08-17 16:06:43 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 8/17/2018 11:11 AM, O wrote:
> In article <b9ednQWyrZeauuvGnZ2dnUU7-***@supernews.com>, Frank
> Berger <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 8/16/2018 4:19 PM, Bozo wrote:
>>>> On Thursday, August 16, 2018 at 2:52:58 PM UTC-5, O wrote:
>>>> Not to mention the difficulty of primitive man to find the following
>>>> tools:
>>>
>>> And trying to determine : " Current market price-ask your Waiter."
>>>
>>
>> Apologies if I told this story here before:
>>
>> About 40 or more years ago I was eating at a Hungry Tiger restaurant in
>> Los Angeles or San Diego with my father and uncle. I ordered a live
>> Main lobster and mentioned that it didn't have much flavor. To my
>> embarrassment my uncle called over the waiter and complained and he
>> brought me another lobster which had the same blah taste. Then the
>> manager came over and after a bit of small talk told us that by the time
>> you ate a "live" Maine lobster in California it had been in transit for
>> many hours and in a declining state of health and would never be as good
>> as a fresh lobster on the East Coast. He suggested a California
>> lobster, which would taste great though lacking the big claw. He
>> brought me one and it was delicious. I'm pretty sure that was the last
>> lobster I ate, since my wife and I decided to eat strictly kosher not
>> long thereafter.
>>
>> Comments on the manager's explanation?
>
> Are you sure it was live, not frozen?

That is what I recall.

Did they have a lobster tank in
> the restaurant?

Pretty sure.

>
> 40 or more years ago, it would have been almost impossible to regularly
> ship live lobsters coast to coast.

Now we'll have to verify that.

Now they can ship them on dry ice
> and they'll arrive in 24 hours. That's about the maximum for live
> lobsters to live on just ice.
>

Why no dry ice 40 years ago???

> Places like Legal Seafood in Boston (and sundry much cheaper places)
> will ship live lobster to the 48 contiguous States. For cooking, I
> recommend steaming the lobster for 20 minutes (put in large pan with
> boiling water only about 1-2 inches deep and cover). Add sea salt to
> the water before boiling. Yum.
>
> When in Maine and looking for good steamed lobster, I recommend the
> Ogonquit Lobster Pound, or the Lincolnville Lobster pound. Both will
> get you a great tasting lobster. (In case you're ever tempted to cheat
> on that kosher diet, Frank!)
>
> -Owen
>
O
2018-08-17 16:38:00 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
In article <o62dnTI7x_YPb-vGnZ2dnUU7-***@supernews.com>, Frank
Berger <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/17/2018 11:11 AM, O wrote:
> > In article <b9ednQWyrZeauuvGnZ2dnUU7-***@supernews.com>, Frank
> > Berger <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On 8/16/2018 4:19 PM, Bozo wrote:
> >>>> On Thursday, August 16, 2018 at 2:52:58 PM UTC-5, O wrote:
> >>>> Not to mention the difficulty of primitive man to find the following
> >>>> tools:
> >>>
> >>> And trying to determine : " Current market price-ask your Waiter."
> >>>
> >>
> >> Apologies if I told this story here before:
> >>
> >> About 40 or more years ago I was eating at a Hungry Tiger restaurant in
> >> Los Angeles or San Diego with my father and uncle. I ordered a live
> >> Main lobster and mentioned that it didn't have much flavor. To my
> >> embarrassment my uncle called over the waiter and complained and he
> >> brought me another lobster which had the same blah taste. Then the
> >> manager came over and after a bit of small talk told us that by the time
> >> you ate a "live" Maine lobster in California it had been in transit for
> >> many hours and in a declining state of health and would never be as good
> >> as a fresh lobster on the East Coast. He suggested a California
> >> lobster, which would taste great though lacking the big claw. He
> >> brought me one and it was delicious. I'm pretty sure that was the last
> >> lobster I ate, since my wife and I decided to eat strictly kosher not
> >> long thereafter.
> >>
> >> Comments on the manager's explanation?
> >
> > Are you sure it was live, not frozen?
>
> That is what I recall.
>
> Did they have a lobster tank in
> > the restaurant?
>
> Pretty sure.
>
> >
> > 40 or more years ago, it would have been almost impossible to regularly
> > ship live lobsters coast to coast.
>
> Now we'll have to verify that.

Let me amend that to say it would have probably been prohibitive, cost
wise.

There is also a difference between hard shell and soft shell lobsters,
with the former being by far tastier, IMHO.

>
> Now they can ship them on dry ice
> > and they'll arrive in 24 hours. That's about the maximum for live
> > lobsters to live on just ice.
> >
>
> Why no dry ice 40 years ago???

They had dry ice. They just didn't have reliable means of getting
lobsters across country in 24 hours like we have today. It's the time
spent outside the tank that's the difference.

-Owen
Frank Berger
2018-08-17 16:21:15 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 8/17/2018 11:11 AM, O wrote:
> In article <b9ednQWyrZeauuvGnZ2dnUU7-***@supernews.com>, Frank
> Berger <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 8/16/2018 4:19 PM, Bozo wrote:
>>>> On Thursday, August 16, 2018 at 2:52:58 PM UTC-5, O wrote:
>>>> Not to mention the difficulty of primitive man to find the following
>>>> tools:
>>>
>>> And trying to determine : " Current market price-ask your Waiter."
>>>
>>
>> Apologies if I told this story here before:
>>
>> About 40 or more years ago I was eating at a Hungry Tiger restaurant in
>> Los Angeles or San Diego with my father and uncle. I ordered a live
>> Main lobster and mentioned that it didn't have much flavor. To my
>> embarrassment my uncle called over the waiter and complained and he
>> brought me another lobster which had the same blah taste. Then the
>> manager came over and after a bit of small talk told us that by the time
>> you ate a "live" Maine lobster in California it had been in transit for
>> many hours and in a declining state of health and would never be as good
>> as a fresh lobster on the East Coast. He suggested a California
>> lobster, which would taste great though lacking the big claw. He
>> brought me one and it was delicious. I'm pretty sure that was the last
>> lobster I ate, since my wife and I decided to eat strictly kosher not
>> long thereafter.
>>
>> Comments on the manager's explanation?
>
> Are you sure it was live, not frozen? Did they have a lobster tank in
> the restaurant?
>
> 40 or more years ago, it would have been almost impossible to regularly
> ship live lobsters coast to coast. Now they can ship them on dry ice
> and they'll arrive in 24 hours. That's about the maximum for live
> lobsters to live on just ice.
>
> Places like Legal Seafood in Boston (and sundry much cheaper places)
> will ship live lobster to the 48 contiguous States. For cooking, I
> recommend steaming the lobster for 20 minutes (put in large pan with
> boiling water only about 1-2 inches deep and cover). Add sea salt to
> the water before boiling. Yum.
>
> When in Maine and looking for good steamed lobster, I recommend the
> Ogonquit Lobster Pound, or the Lincolnville Lobster pound. Both will
> get you a great tasting lobster. (In case you're ever tempted to cheat
> on that kosher diet, Frank!)
>
> -Owen
>


I just read an article about the lobster market. It said California
spiny lobsters actually are sweeter than Maine lobsters, but are harder
to harvest and almost all of them are exported to China because the
Chinese prefer them. This makes them very expensive. So I guess it's a
good thing then technology allows the Maine lobsters to be shipped and
stay in good shape.
Loading...