All about Muzicescu
Richard Sauer
2005-09-07 17:57:50 UTC
From IP Sept/Oct 2005:

Lory Wallfisch tells Charles Timbrell about her teacher, Florica Muzicescu:

"Muzicescu had many other pupils in addition to Dinu Lipatti, although he
was of course, the most famous. He was older than I and he had already gone
to Paris to continue his studies with Alfred Cortot. Another extraordinary
talent was Mindru Katz, who had a tone like pure honey. Unfortunately, he
died in his fifties, but he left some very fine recordings, especially of
Bach, Chopin and Prokofiev. In Chopin's Etude in C sharp minior op. 10 no.
4 he managed almost impossible expression at a really fast tempo. He was
also a fantastic teacher- according to Jeremy Menuhin, the best he ever had.
Also there was Corneliu Gheorghiu, who was a formidable player in his youth.
And another of her star pupils was Maria Fotino, who I remember played a
remarkable Brahms concerto with Enescu conducting. Radu Lupu also studied
with her, and Julien Msafia, Dan Grigore, Ari Gutmann...the list could go on
and on.."

"I would say that the most important thing she taught us was to seek an
almost unattainable degree of perfection. "You're getting better" was one of
her very highest compliments. Once I remember hearing Annie Fischer play
the Schumann Concerto with the Bucharest Philharmonic. I thought it was
superlative, and when I mentioned this at my lesson the next day she said,
"Well, yes. But her pianissimos were very superficial." She was very
demanding about tone production. She stressed that your maximum sound
should never be harsh and that your pianissimo must not be superficial."

"She always stressed the importance of obtaining a singing tone quality,
pointing out that Romanian was the only language in which you "sing the
piano" rather than "play the piano", as in French, German or Italian."

Katz I know, but Fotino,Gheorghiu, Msafia, Grigore, and Gutmann I've never
heard of....
SG
2005-09-07 18:27:31 UTC
Post by Richard Sauer
Katz I know, but Fotino,Gheorghiu, Msafia, Grigore, and Gutmann I've never
heard of....
Maria Fotino just had the honor of being granted a Pearl (!) CD. She
was a complex personality. Not a great pianist, imho, more for those
interested in significant second-tier figures. An extremely
hard-working woman, she made a pioneering recording of Enescu's piano
sonatas. Not very good, imo. Not even accurate. The engineers who
worked with her tell stories of how she recorded take after take... At
midnight they were going home, but she asked to be shown how to start
and stop the tape and continued to record takes. Her 2nd piano suite by
Enescu is much better than the sonatas - the work is demanding
virtosically and musically but noticeably more traditionalist in its
language, and not so hard to even read correctly as both sonatas are.
Maria Fotino also practiced a great deal of post-WWII Romanian music,
some of which good (-;, and thus performed a cultural service to her
audiences. I don't have the Pearl CD and I don't remember what in
contains, but her recording which I liked best was Franck's Prelude,
Choral and Fugue. It was positively Lipatti-like in its Apollonian
sense of proportions and balanced beauty. Through dedication and
perseverance more than through talent, Maria Fotino *could* do
wonderful things now and then.

Dan Grigore is alive and well and performs a lot. A very intelligent
and cultivated person, with a piano mechanism to burn, large repertoire
of concertos (less of a recital repertoire), original, sometimes
striking ideas. Subjectively speaking, I am not really fond of any of
his interpretations, as they sound too cerebral and mechanically
"jazzy" to me. He has a lot of fans, though and he deserves of my
respect for his high professional qualities.

My favorite living Romanian pianist is the older Valentin Gheorghiu
(not to be confused with the talented Corneliu, whose career was cut
rather short), who came from the school of Musicescu's main competitor,
Constant[z]a Erbiceanu. At a ripe but youthful 77, Gheorghiu still
plays Enescu divinely, and, on request, his well-oiled fingers play a
hell of a Mendelssohn Concerto, sparkling, virtuosic, sensible and
elegant.

Never (even) heard (of) Msafia. One should though note that between
1930 and 1932 Constantin Silvestri took piano lessons from Musicescu.

Another excellent female pianist of the old times, more impressive than
Fotino in fact, was Silvia Serbescu, coming, like Valentin Gheorghiu,
from the rival Erbiceanu class. Finally some Romanian label put some of
her leonine recordings on CD. I hope they include Rachmaninoff's
Rhapsody, which she was particularly remarkable in playing as if her
life was depending on it. (I prefer it to the composer's version, in
fact.)

regards,
SG
SG
2005-09-07 18:36:19 UTC
PS You made me take out from the dusty corner a book about Florica
Musicescu I knew I had.

Imagine that: "She loved the healthy pianism of Arthur Rubinstein. At
one of her soirees, Enescu played his own F Sharp Minor Sonata,
stirring Rubinstein's admiration, who didn't know the piano artistry of
the great violinist. At the after-concert buffet, Rubinstein enchanted
the guests with humorously-told anecdotes and then, provoked by Florica
Musicescu, sat at the piano playing all the way to the dawn all kinds
of piano music, from Bach works to Ravel's Valses nobles et
sentimentales."

"In the '30s, coming back from a musical trip, to Salzburg and
Bayreuth, expresses her enthusiasm in front of Wilhelm Furtwangler's
conducting, calling him a "God of Music".

regards,
SG
Richard Sauer
2005-09-07 18:48:53 UTC
Samir,

Did she live in Romania until her death?

Rich
SG
2005-09-07 18:56:22 UTC
Florica Muzicescu? Yes.

"In 1966 the doctors gave their verdict: neoplasm. She didn't tell
anybody about it, not even the neighbors, in order to avoid useless
dramas. After three years in which the illness was somewhat kept under
control, the relapse came, necessitating a second hospitalization."

She died soon after.

regards,
SG
sidoze
2005-09-07 20:10:16 UTC
Post by SG
Another excellent female pianist of the old times, more impressive than
Fotino in fact, was Silvia Serbescu, coming, like Valentin Gheorghiu,
from the rival Erbiceanu class. Finally some Romanian label put some of
her leonine recordings on CD. I hope they include Rachmaninoff's
Rhapsody, which she was particularly remarkable in playing as if her
life was depending on it. (I prefer it to the composer's version, in
fact.)
regards,
SG
Hi Samir, do you know if her Rachmaninoff Rhapsody is available on CD
and possible to buy?
SG
2005-09-07 20:20:41 UTC
Post by sidoze
Post by SG
Another excellent female pianist of the old times, more impressive than
Fotino in fact, was Silvia Serbescu, coming, like Valentin Gheorghiu,
from the rival Erbiceanu class. Finally some Romanian label put some of
her leonine recordings on CD. I hope they include Rachmaninoff's
Rhapsody, which she was particularly remarkable in playing as if her
life was depending on it. (I prefer it to the composer's version, in
fact.)
regards,
SG
Hi Samir, do you know if her Rachmaninoff Rhapsody is available on CD
and possible to buy?
I don't know. All I know isthat some label put out recently, for the
first time, one CD of hers. I hope it includes the Rhapsody - you
wouldn't believe how good it is: the interpretation of a thinking
pianist who actually took this music extremely seriously and thought
over every single note, I dare repeat, more than the
composer-qua-performer. She also played with super-macho, but not
brutal strength. I have my own pirate copy from the radio original
tape.

regards,
SG
George Murnu
2005-09-08 01:43:31 UTC
Post by SG
Post by sidoze
Post by SG
[...]
The CD, edited by "Editura Casa Radio", does indeed include the rhapsody as
well as a Prokofiev 3rd with Anosov conducting - wasn't Anosov (a.k.a
Rozhdestvensky pére) the one who gave the world premiere of the work with
the composer, or at least performed it together? Anyway, here's the link of
the CD:

Now, I have no clue how to order the CD; I know some online stores that have
Electrecord Cds but none that store those made by Editura Casa Radio.

Regards,

George
Post by SG
regards,
SG
SG
2005-09-08 07:51:12 UTC
Post by George Murnu
The CD, edited by "Editura Casa Radio", does indeed include the rhapsody as
well as a Prokofiev 3rd with Anosov conducting - wasn't Anosov (a.k.a
Rozhdestvensky pére) the one who gave the world premiere of the work with
the composer, or at least performed it together? Anyway, here's the link of
http://oferta.srr.ro/oferta_casa_radio/casete_cd/poze_cd_casete/silvia_serbescu_s.jpg
Thank you George. I know all these recordings, except for the
Prokofiev. S[h]erbescu's live recording of the Rhapsody with Georgescu
is, I believe, the only one that survives. I will probably get this CD
from some friend from home.

regards,
SG
sidoze
2005-09-09 18:28:39 UTC
If you guys find an online store from which to buy that CD, please let
me know. I'd like to hear every work on it :)

Alan Cooper
2005-09-07 21:41:26 UTC
On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 10:57:50 -0700, "Richard Sauer"
Post by Richard Sauer
Katz I know, but Fotino,Gheorghiu, Msafia, Grigore, and Gutmann I've never
heard of....
I know Katz, too, and have the Barbirolli Society and Cembal d'Amour
reissues of his commercial and private recordings. I've never heard
him in Chopin, though. Did he record any? Was any of it ever issued?

AC