rare videos of Russian pianists
Tony
2015-03-10 01:10:21 UTC
I've uploaded a number of extremely rare videos of Russian pianists that I came across today. Some of them are quite special.

Top of the list must go to composer Rodion Shchedrin playing two pieces by Chopin at a multi-pianist recital in memory of their teacher Yakov Flier. He plays mazurka op 68/4 and Prelude 7. I think the playing is absolutely amazing.

a young Mikhail Pletnev pulling Scriabin's op 8/12 etude all over the place

young Nikolai Demidenko and young Valery Gergiev playing Scriabin's PC. Unfortunately only the first movement.

Rudolf Kerer playing Liszt's Transcendental Etude no 10

Viktoria Postnikova playing Scriabin's sonata 5

Yakov Flier playing Chopin's 48/1 nocturne

Bella Davidovich playing Chopin's scherzo 2 and Grande valse brillante

Arnold Kaplan playing the Strauss-Grunfeld paraphrase Soiree de Vienne

in addition to the above I also have videos of the following pianists playing Scriabin

Alexei Nasedkin - 2 preludes op. 11 and Vers la flamme

Valery Kastelsky - nocturne for left hand op 9 (already on YT in another performance)

Naum Shtarkman - 2 mazurkas from op 3

Elena Richter - etude op 8/11 and 5 Preludes op 74

Vladimir Krainev - finale of sonata 2

William Wolfram (USA) - sonata 4

Excluding Krainev I found the others rather uninteresting (particularly Shtarkman whose playing seems so leaden). However if anyone wants to see them I can upload them.
Mort
2015-03-10 03:40:35 UTC
Wow. What a marvelous favor you have done for us. Thank you ever so much.

Mort Linder
Post by Tony
I've uploaded a number of extremely rare videos of Russian pianists that I came across today. Some of them are quite special.
Top of the list must go to composer Rodion Shchedrin playing two pieces by Chopin at a multi-pianist recital in memory of their teacher Yakov Flier. He plays mazurka op 68/4 and Prelude 7. I think the playing is absolutely amazing.
http://youtu.be/uTMrIEMFM8A
a young Mikhail Pletnev pulling Scriabin's op 8/12 etude all over the place
http://youtu.be/hNvIBYh8ZpA
young Nikolai Demidenko and young Valery Gergiev playing Scriabin's PC. Unfortunately only the first movement.
http://youtu.be/mk7BflMTdcw
Rudolf Kerer playing Liszt's Transcendental Etude no 10
http://youtu.be/QdQvX5pTBEo
Viktoria Postnikova playing Scriabin's sonata 5
http://youtu.be/Rc_smJdXXOM
Yakov Flier playing Chopin's 48/1 nocturne
http://youtu.be/TpQ24GB4gfo
Bella Davidovich playing Chopin's scherzo 2 and Grande valse brillante
http://youtu.be/sa0y-wxFDDs
http://youtu.be/OUQKa2DcLf4
Arnold Kaplan playing the Strauss-Grunfeld paraphrase Soiree de Vienne
http://youtu.be/2-XBteWCUVM
in addition to the above I also have videos of the following pianists playing Scriabin
Alexei Nasedkin - 2 preludes op. 11 and Vers la flamme
Valery Kastelsky - nocturne for left hand op 9 (already on YT in another performance)
Naum Shtarkman - 2 mazurkas from op 3
Elena Richter - etude op 8/11 and 5 Preludes op 74
Vladimir Krainev - finale of sonata 2
William Wolfram (USA) - sonata 4
Excluding Krainev I found the others rather uninteresting (particularly Shtarkman whose playing seems so leaden). However if anyone wants to see them I can upload them.
---
Tony
2015-03-10 11:38:04 UTC
Post by Mort
Wow. What a marvelous favor you have done for us. Thank you ever so much.
Mort Linder
My pleasure. I wish I could find even more.

Here's Nikolai Petrov playing Prokofiev's op 2 no 3 etude

Tony
2015-03-10 13:49:53 UTC
Pletnev playing the final few minutes of Liszt's rarely heard Spanish Fantasy S.253

Bozo
2015-03-10 15:35:52 UTC
Post by Tony
I've uploaded a number of extremely rare videos of Russian pianists that I
Thanks !! Looking forward to hearing them.

Another rarity, and amazing playing,Valeriy Shkarupa,Rachmaninoff Op.39 Etudes Tableaux complete, live at the Mussorgsky Conservatory,2008 :

arri bachrach
2015-03-10 18:30:50 UTC
Post by Tony
[...]
I greatly admire Nasedkin and would be very grateful if you would upload his Scriabin I have many if not most of his recordings
thanks

AB
Frank Berger
2015-03-10 18:47:08 UTC
Post by arri bachrach
Post by Tony
[...]
Arri, do you know when Nasedkin's Schubert D959 was recorded? I have it
on Melodiya. His recording wasn't mentioned in the recent D959
discussion, IIRC.

---
arri bachrach
2015-03-10 22:24:49 UTC
Post by Frank Berger
Post by arri bachrach
Post by Tony
[...]
no, I don't really know. Not mentioned because he is not well known. Tis a shame. I assume you know that he died in DEc. 2014

Arri
Tony
2015-03-10 19:30:15 UTC
Post by arri bachrach
Post by Tony
[...]
Here you go Arri. I combined the preludes and vers la flamme into one video:

arri bachrach
2015-03-10 22:32:53 UTC
Post by Tony
Post by arri bachrach
Post by Tony
[...]
http://youtu.be/JsZux7MWPlw
Tony,

thank you very much. a rare treat. I assume you have his recordings as well?

Arri
Tony
I don't really know him Arri -- only started to listen in December when he passed.
arri bachrach
2015-03-11 01:34:25 UTC
Post by Tony
Post by arri bachrach
Post by Tony
Post by arri bachrach
Post by Tony
[...]
there is quite a bit on youtube.... listen to his Schubert, truly beautiful IMO

AB
Tony
2015-04-01 13:48:28 UTC
One I overlooked but have now uploaded: Lev Vlassenko playing the finale of Beethoven's Pathetique, from the recital in memory of Yakov Flier.

Tony
2015-04-02 16:08:04 UTC
A few more recordings--unfortunately not videos--from the Tchaikovsky competition

Pletnev - Chopin's op 25/6 etude (1st, '78)

Arthur Moreira Lima's wild Liszt TE 10 (3rd, '70)

Lev Vlassenko - Chopin 17/4 mazurka (2nd, '58)

Lionel Tacchini
2015-04-02 16:34:52 UTC
Post by Tony
A few more recordings--unfortunately not videos
No tight dresses :-(
Lionel Tacchini
John Wiser
2015-04-02 16:45:31 UTC
Post by Lionel Tacchini
Post by Tony
A few more recordings--unfortunately not videos
No tight dresses :-(
On Russian pianists? Do you understand what you're asking for?

jdw
Lionel Tacchini
2015-04-02 16:56:17 UTC
Post by John Wiser
Post by Lionel Tacchini
Post by Tony
A few more recordings--unfortunately not videos
No tight dresses :-(
On Russian pianists? Do you understand what you're asking for?
I'm just trying to make sense of what people like to see.
Lionel Tacchini
John Wiser

jdw
Al Eisner
2015-04-02 21:05:34 UTC
Post by John Wiser
Post by Lionel Tacchini
Post by Tony
A few more recordings--unfortunately not videos
No tight dresses :-(
On Russian pianists? Do you understand what you're asking for?
Olga Kern?
Al Eisner
John Wiser
2015-04-02 23:07:31 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
Post by John Wiser
Post by Lionel Tacchini
Post by Tony
A few more recordings--unfortunately not videos
No tight dresses :-(
On Russian pianists? Do you understand what you're asking for?
Olga Kern?
--
Hold on a minute...
<google image>...

jdw
arri bachrach
2015-04-02 22:53:41 UTC
Post by John Wiser
Post by Lionel Tacchini
Post by Tony
A few more recordings--unfortunately not videos
No tight dresses :-(
On Russian pianists? Do you understand what you're asking for?
jdw
he not 'asking' for anything. he has a right to make an observation, no:-)

Ab
r***@gmail.com
Just the thought of historic Russian pianist Maria Yudina in a Wang outfit makes me shudder. Still, each to his own.
dk
2015-04-10 00:09:14 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
Post by Lionel Tacchini
Post by Tony
A few more recordings--unfortunately not videos
No tight dresses :-(
Just the thought of historic Russian pianist Maria Yudina
in a Wang outfit makes me shudder. Still, each to his own.
Yudina could not afford to buy a fashionable dress. I
can reassure you that younger Russian pianists do wear
fancy dresses. Even as far back as the 1960s, Elizabeth
Leonskaja dressed quite elegantly -- more so in fact
than Martha Argerich, not to mention the fact she was
a better pianist too!

dk
Tony
2015-04-09 22:54:27 UTC
a few more rare Russian videos. Not a mini skirt in sight but look closely and you might see some of Pletnev's ankle.

Pletnev playing Glinka-Balakirev The Lark - 1983

Vlassenko playing Liszt's PC 2 with Pletnev - 1986

audio-only Pletnev playing Chopin's Preludes - 2004

Tony
2015-04-14 11:30:04 UTC
A trip into the deconstructive stasis of Ivo Pogorelich's noughties phase. A Rod Serling intro wouldn't go amiss here:

Sibelius Valse Triste (2009) -

Chopin Sonata 3 (2005) -

Nocturne 55/2 (2005) -

and back to his prime in 1991:

Rachmaninoff Sonata 2 -

Tony
2015-04-15 15:12:30 UTC
I found this rare video today of Gilels and Flier playing an arrangement of Albeniz's Navarra for two pianos in 1941. Very much a WTF moment. Even though there was a thread on this two years ago, I've uploaded the video to my channel as it's so rare and hardly known.

Frank Berger
2015-04-15 15:29:20 UTC
Post by Tony
I found this rare video today of Gilels and Flier playing an arrangement of Albeniz's Navarra for two pianos in 1941. Very much a WTF moment. Even though there was a thread on this two years ago, I've uploaded the video to my channel as it's so rare and hardly known.
http://youtu.be/xy8241tOf5k
Wikipedia says Gilels and Flier were "sometime rivals" without
elaborating. They were 1st and 3rd, respectively, in the 1938 QE
competition.

---
Tony
Yes I included that info underneath the video. Two years before that, in Vienna '36, their order was reversed with Flier taking first and Gilels second. I haven't heard anything substantial about a rivalry between them. It sounds more like a western publicity drive made up by labels or prosaic critics.
Tony
2015-04-17 16:36:20 UTC
audio-only: wonderful Russian pianist Ekaterina Derzhavina playing Catoire, Scriabin, Prokofiev, Medtner and Stanchinsky in recital in 2011. She won the '92 Bach competition and is a wonderful interpreter of Medtner.
Tony
2015-04-17 16:36:50 UTC
Post by Tony
audio-only: wonderful Russian pianist Ekaterina Derzhavina playing Catoire, Scriabin, Prokofiev, Medtner and Stanchinsky in recital in 2011. She won the '92 Bach competition and is a wonderful interpreter of Medtner.
here's the link:

Bozo
2015-04-18 02:44:21 UTC
Post by Tony
here's the link: http://youtu.be/9CVCKUAVpbI
Many thanks ! Wonderful programme of rarities, and extraordinary playing comes through despite the sound limitations. She has recorded the Bach "Goldberg" and a 9-cd set of Haydn sonatas ; would hope she can record this Russian repertoire.
Tony
2015-04-18 11:41:28 UTC
Yeah unfortunately the internet radio broadcast was pretty low quality. However some of her Bach is on YT and is worth exploring. She plays a Bach French Overture to rival Sokolov's.
Bozo
2015-04-18 12:46:32 UTC
I shall explore the Bach after I finish my second hearing of her Russian recital ( I enjoyed the recital that much ). Her Medtner cd seems also at YT ; note to John Gavin.
Tony
2015-04-18 23:27:34 UTC
now into the peculiar world of Valery Afanassiev, from a 2006 recital in memory of Emil Gilels

Beethoven Sonata no. 27 -

Beethoven Sonata no. 15 -

Chopin mazurka op 67/4 -

For all his strangeness there's some magic in this mazurka -- I've never really heard anything like 1'35 - 1'45.
Tony
2015-04-19 02:43:24 UTC
I've uploaded an exceedingly rare video recital of Gilels from 7 January 1983. This was shot in the Great Hall two days before the much better-known recital of 9 January in the Tchaikovsky Hall, which was later released by Melodiya on CD and VAI on DVD. It's the same programme however -- Schumann 4 Pieces, Symphonic etudes, and two small Mendelssohn works.

Tony
2015-04-20 06:55:09 UTC
Not my upload, but here you can see Pogorelich playing the last couple minutes of the Schumann Concerto in a HD video

Herman
2015-04-20 07:59:22 UTC
mostly footage of him receiving an ovation with monumental lack of enthusiasm.
Tony
2015-04-20 10:48:45 UTC
Post by Herman
Post by Tony
Not my upload, but here you can see Pogorelich playing the last couple minutes of the Schumann Concerto in a HD video
mostly footage of him receiving an ovation with monumental lack of enthusiasm.
haha yes :) but he was never the type to deign to emote to the rabble. Perhaps he wonders why they even came.

I've uploaded a video of Nikolai Petrov and Alexander Ghindin playing Debussy's Faun for two pianos. Most likely the Debussy transcription.

Tony
2015-04-21 16:03:27 UTC
video of Pletnev playing Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody, with Temirkanov in 1983

a couple more rare Pletnev concerts tomorrow
Tony
2015-04-21 16:09:32 UTC
Post by Tony
video of Pletnev playing Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody, with Temirkanov in 1983
http://youtu.be/3vaJ91DuDww
a couple more rare Pletnev concerts tomorrow
I wonder if that man the camera focuses on at 25:17 is Pletnev's father. There's a resemblance.
Tony
2015-04-22 01:44:10 UTC
Two more videos:

Pletnev playing Rachmaninoff's PC 1 with Sinaisky, 1983

Pletnev's recital in Moscow around 2000:

Chopin Andante spianato
Scriabin poeme 32/1
Rachmaninoff etude 39/5
Grieg Carnival scene

Tony
2015-04-22 19:46:15 UTC
and finally, a video of Nikolai Petrov giving a wonderfully large-scale reading of the Prokofiev PC 2, from '85 with Temirkanov. The broad tempo of the third movement really brings out the sinisterly grotesque character of the piece, along with more balletic and nocturnal sounds.

I'm all out of rare stuff for the time being, dames en heren.
2015-04-22 20:15:23 UTC
Post by Tony
and finally, a video of Nikolai Petrov giving a wonderfully large-scale
reading of the Prokofiev PC 2, from '85 with Temirkanov. The broad tempo of
the third movement really brings out the sinisterly grotesque character of
the piece, along with more balletic and nocturnal sounds.
http://youtu.be/3Owb_DkABhg
I'm all out of rare stuff for the time being, dames en heren.
He does make it more sinister, but drains it of its wit. Much too
ponderous for my taste, a heavy reading that wants to weigh you down
with every note.

-Owen
Tony
I see what you mean, slowed and heavy, but in other places the slower tempo allows for some lighter playing that is normally rushed through. In any case Petrov did it his way, and I hear a lot more character in a heavier performance like this than in the slapdash sort which is exciting but misses out on highlighting the different characters in this piece, more than just the motoric. Yuja Wang's fast take comes to mind in that sense.
2015-04-23 13:24:51 UTC
Post by Tony
Post by O
Post by Tony
[...]
I don't deny it's a valid interpretation which does bring out different
voices in the music, and he is able to import a lot of drama into the
piece, but I miss the wit from the composer. I heard Wang play this
live in concert and Symphony Hall was electric from it. My favorite
performers in this work are Browning and Malcolm Frager (at this time,
though subject to change).

-Owen
Tony
2015-04-23 14:57:31 UTC
As it turns out I not only found one more rare video -- I found one that caused me to laugh in that way you do when something's not meant to be funny but is.

Andrei Gavrilov's recital in Moscow played pre-2000 during his long-haired hippie phase. Some of his behaviour and facial gestures......start of Ballade 4; his coffee-and-cigarettes posture before he begins Ondine; perhaps best of all the start of Scriabin's Sonata 4. Throughout he behaves as if he's tossing out encores.

Chopin's Ballades 2 and 4, Ravel's Ondine and Scarbo, Scriabin's Sonata 4, Prokofiev's Sonata 8, and Scarlatti's L.366
Tony
2015-04-24 13:29:52 UTC
not my upload, but a wonderful and rare video from '59 of Gilels playing Schubert, Tchaikovsky and Prokofiev

Tony
2015-04-25 14:57:58 UTC
Some videos which will appeal to those interested in the history of the Chopin competition -- 1955 to be exact, the Harasiewicz / Ashkenazy year.

Dmitri Sakharov placed 9th that year, one place behind Andre Tchaikowsky who, as we know, was a great Chopin player. As far as I can tell Sakharov is not represented anywhere except on a LP of Chopin split with Ashkenazy. Now we have the chance to see and hear him from 1962 playing Chopin's op. 42 waltz and Tchaikovsky's June Barcarolle. Very sensitive playing, with verve in the waltz. Sakharov studied with Lev Oborin.

Naum Shtarkman placed 5th in 1955. He is represented, but not by many early recordings, so these '68 videos are really welcome -- etude op 25 no. 5 and the first movement of Beethoven's Moonlight sonata. Wonderfully lyrical playing in the central section of the etude--enhanced by the romantic lighting change--and a very still and meditative performance of the Moonlight sonata. Shtarkman studied with Igumnov and--as an aside--was persecuted for being gay.

Lev Vlassenko, who did not compete at the Chopin competition but was a jury member, nonetheless was a sensitive Chopin player with a beautiful sound. I've already uploaded his op. 17/4 mazurka from when he placed 2nd behind Cliburn at the Tchaikovsky. This video of Vlassenko playing the op. 30/4 mazurka is from '61 and again shows that he learned a lot from Yakov Flier and passed it on well to Pletnev. No one else has ever produced a sound like that at 2:09 either.

Tony
2015-04-26 01:25:40 UTC
Vitali Berzon, who studied with Serebryakov and Nielsen, playing Scriabin's op. 2 no. 1 etude

Victor Merzhanov, who studied with Feinberg, playing Rachmaninoff's Musical Moment no. 4 and Chopin's 24th prelude

and Rodion Shchedrin and Vera Gornostaeva playing and discussing Chopin's op. 10/1 etude and 17/4 mazurka. Shchedrin describes a few things about what Flier taught him and plays in the most wonderfully aristocratic manner:

Tony
2015-05-09 11:22:56 UTC
uploaded by Sinfonica de Galicia, a video of Nikolai Demidenko playing Prokofiev's PC 2 from 6 weeks ago.

Tony
2015-05-09 18:38:53 UTC
I've uploaded a video recital of Nikolai Petrov playing Bach, Mozart, Schubert, Mendelssohn, Weber, Mussorgsky and Rachmaninoff from the early 2000s

and from that recital I've uploaded separately the Rachmaninoff/Svetlanov Vocalise:

Tony
2015-05-10 11:44:05 UTC
Yakov Flier plays an excerpt of the Liszt Sonata from 1935 with his teacher Igumnov looking on

a young Eliso Virsaladze plays Beethoven's PC 3

from the same concert, Virsaladze, Kagan and Gutman play Beethoven's Triple Concerto

from 2007, Virsaladze plays Schubert (2 musical moments), Schumann (Papillons) and Liszt (Spanish Rhapsody)

from 2010, Virsaladze plays Schumann's Kinderszenen and Symphonic Etudes

Tony
2015-05-11 14:57:34 UTC
I've uploaded some more video rarities:

Viktoria Postnikova playing Rachmaninoff's PC 1 with Rozhdestvensky at the '79 Proms

Alexander Toradze playing the finale of Prokofiev's Sonata 7

Nikolai Petrov playing Rachmaninoff's PC 3 with Svetlanov in '98

Tony
2015-05-11 23:22:12 UTC
jackpot: Rudolf Kerer playing Chopin's Revolutionary etude for Lenin and Gorky

Tony
2015-05-11 23:56:54 UTC
Post by Tony
jackpot: Rudolf Kerer playing Chopin's Revolutionary etude for Lenin and Gorky
http://youtu.be/wJNOEMvodEM
and Lenin asking Kerer to play Beethoven's Appassionata

Bozo
2015-05-12 01:41:16 UTC
Post by Tony
jackpot: Rudolf Kerer playing Chopin's Revolutionary etude for Lenin and Gorky
And the complete Preludes, 1970 recording :

Andy Evans
2015-05-25 20:36:27 UTC
http://youtu.be/hgwbfE4_TEM
This is well worth a listen.
Tony
2015-05-27 22:51:39 UTC
It is indeed. I think Melodiya remastered this a year or two ago and released it on CD.
Tony
2015-05-12 13:40:09 UTC
Post by Tony
jackpot: Rudolf Kerer playing Chopin's Revolutionary etude for Lenin and Gorky
http://youtu.be/wJNOEMvodEM
I've uploaded better quality videos of Kerer playing for Lenin and Gorky

They're from a 40 minute Mosfilm entitled Appassionata from 1963. There are a number of copies around the web in varying quality, including what's obviously a newly remastered one uploaded by Dom Kino (not the copy I used).
Frank Berger
2015-05-12 14:20:22 UTC
http://youtu.be/HPpqXQzblhI
http://youtu.be/zE80aVH1YXw
They're from a 40 minute Mosfilm entitled Appassionata from 1963. There are a number of copies around the web in varying quality, including what's obviously a newly remastered one uploaded by Dom Kino (not the copy I used).
Not having heard of Kerer, and your not having dated the first post, I
thought that really was Lenin!
Tony
2015-05-12 15:07:14 UTC
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Tony
Post by Tony
jackpot: Rudolf Kerer playing Chopin's Revolutionary etude for Lenin and Gorky
http://youtu.be/wJNOEMvodEM
I've uploaded better quality videos of Kerer playing for Lenin and Gorky
http://youtu.be/HPpqXQzblhI
http://youtu.be/zE80aVH1YXw
They're from a 40 minute Mosfilm entitled Appassionata from 1963. There are a number of copies around the web in varying quality, including what's obviously a newly remastered one uploaded by Dom Kino (not the copy I used).
Not having heard of Kerer, and your not having dated the first post, I
thought that really was Lenin!
The first footage I uploaded was very grainy so that makes sense. I've now uploaded the end of the film -- Kerer playing Beethoven's Moonlight sonata as Lenin takes a long walk back to the Kremlin. It's an amazing document.

Bozo
2015-05-12 16:10:15 UTC
< It's an amazing document.
Post by Tony
http://youtu.be/C-zFPa2sVDw
Indeed , as I believe Kerer was born in 1923 , Lenin died in 1924.
Frank Berger
2015-05-12 16:51:09 UTC
Post by Bozo
< It's an amazing document.
Yeah, I'm not so sure what's amazing about a film.
Tony
2015-05-12 16:59:00 UTC
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Bozo
< It's an amazing document.
Post by Tony
http://youtu.be/C-zFPa2sVDw
Indeed , as I believe Kerer was born in 1923 , Lenin died in 1924.
Yeah, I'm not so sure what's amazing about a film.
About any film?

About this one, the footage of Kerer, who's among the greatest Russian pianists. The way the thing's arranged with Lenin too. Perhaps films just don't amaze or overwhelm you.
Frank Berger
2015-05-12 18:35:25 UTC
Post by Tony
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Bozo
< It's an amazing document.
Post by Tony
http://youtu.be/C-zFPa2sVDw
Indeed , as I believe Kerer was born in 1923 , Lenin died in 1924.
Yeah, I'm not so sure what's amazing about a film.
About any film?
About this one, the footage of Kerer, who's among the greatest Russian pianists. The way the thing's arranged with Lenin too. Perhaps films just don't amaze or overwhelm you.
An actor playing Lenin is not amazing. Unknown footage of a revered
pianist is. As I had not heard of Kerer, I was not amazed.
Bozo
2015-05-12 17:33:02 UTC
Post by Bozo
Indeed , as I believe Kerer was born in 1923 , Lenin died in 1924.
From another post of playing of Kerer at YT :

" Rudolf Kerer (Kehrer) is still another Great soviet-Russian pianist who was not widely known and recognized outside of USSR until 80s. He didn't like to speak about tragic 14 years he and his family had to spend in Uzbekistan during and after WWII. It was a "punishment" for being German during and after the War. His career started only at the age of 37. His Beethoven interpretations are outstanding! In 1960s Soviet propaganda released a movie "Appassionata" about Lenin. The story is about how Lenin listened Isaya Dobrovein (pianist) playing Beethoven. Kerer was invited to play Dobrovein in this movie... BTW, the story about Lenin and Appassionata is also mistaken. I've read in Dobrovin's memoirs that he actually performed Beethoven's "Patetique", but for propaganda purposes it was changed to Appassionata since character of music was "more revolutionary"! "

Tony
2015-05-12 17:40:09 UTC
Post by Bozo
Indeed , as I believe Kerer was born in 1923 , Lenin died in 1924.
*snip*
Thanks for that info! This is the pianist mentioned:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Issay_Dobrowen

There are some recordings on YT, including him conducting Beethoven's PCs with Schnabel, and Solomon in the Brahms PC 2.
weary flake
2015-05-12 17:27:53 UTC
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Tony
Post by Tony
jackpot: Rudolf Kerer playing Chopin's Revolutionary etude for Lenin and Gorky
http://youtu.be/wJNOEMvodEM
I've uploaded better quality videos of Kerer playing for Lenin and Gorky
http://youtu.be/HPpqXQzblhI
http://youtu.be/zE80aVH1YXw
They're from a 40 minute Mosfilm entitled Appassionata from 1963. There
are a number of copies around the web in varying quality, including
what's obviously a newly remastered one uploaded by Dom Kino (not the
copy I used).
Not having heard of Kerer, and your not having dated the first post, I
thought that really was Lenin!
It didn't look at all like Lenin, by
written description and pictures, Lenin
was manic, fidgetty, not calm like in
those clips. But that other guy looked
like Gorky.
Frank Berger
I did figure out, quickly and by myself. that is was not Lenin/
Tony
2015-05-13 08:52:48 UTC
Vladimir Krainev playing Prokofiev's sonata 6 in Moscow in 1994

Tony
2015-05-14 10:13:16 UTC
I've uploaded a video from '77 of Richter and Kondrashin playing Mozart's PC 18, K 456. They encored the third movement. As you can imagine this is much more vivacious and sparkling than Richter's 1993 recording with Barshai.

Tony
2015-05-14 11:34:17 UTC
one more rare video of Richter, from '76 playing Debussy's L'isle joyeuse. Judging by the pompous decorated chap on the stage who Richter has to render obeisance to, and the 70-50 numbers behind, it was an occasion of some sort. Could any of the historians here elucidate this?

Tony
2015-05-14 13:44:10 UTC
http://youtu.be/kp7ub8iHAkw
The man is Igor Moiseyev, famous Russian dance choreographer. It was his 70th birthday.
Tony
2015-05-14 22:38:46 UTC
Kremer, Grindenko and Kremerata Baltica playing Schnittke's Concerto Grosso no. 1 in 2004

Tony
2015-05-16 23:16:28 UTC
last night Sokolov played in Eindhoven. If anyone would like to hear the bootleg:

Beethoven Sonata 7 op. 10/3 -

Schubert Moments Musicaux -

Schubert A minor sonata D 784 -

4 Chopin mazurkas -

Griboyedov waltz -

m***@gmail.com
2015-05-16 23:55:43 UTC
Tony,
Just poked my head in this group and saw these treasures.
What a gift.
Thanks!!!
-Max
Post by Tony
Beethoven Sonata 7 op. 10/3 - http://youtu.be/q3DIH42cpOY
Schubert Moments Musicaux - http://youtu.be/h8w05svaIpo
Schubert A minor sonata D 784 - http://youtu.be/pinps0C3ixg
4 Chopin mazurkas - http://youtu.be/efT7a9V8kCc
Griboyedov waltz - http://youtu.be/jlD7Fn689Zg
Tony
2015-05-17 09:07:02 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Tony,
Just poked my head in this group and saw these treasures.
What a gift.
Thanks!!!
-Max
My pleasure Max.

Arri and Mr. Bozo, I have to say your reactions surprise me because I didn't see any indication of tiredness. I heard slower interpretations, but his pianissimo playing was magical, and a Bach first partita I haven't uploaded was light and crisp. His reading of the A minor Schubert Sonata is certainly very heavy though, heavier and slower than I prefer it, with more emphasis on the dynamic range for effect. Dimmed lighting in the concert hall puts the audience at rest for such readings too.

Still I wonder if you're onto something as his touring schedule is so full and everyone knows he won't say no until after the sixth encore so demands all of them (as we did).
arri bachrach
2015-05-17 00:39:19 UTC
Post by Tony
Beethoven Sonata 7 op. 10/3 - http://youtu.be/q3DIH42cpOY
Schubert Moments Musicaux - http://youtu.be/h8w05svaIpo
Schubert A minor sonata D 784 - http://youtu.be/pinps0C3ixg
4 Chopin mazurkas - http://youtu.be/efT7a9V8kCc
Griboyedov waltz - http://youtu.be/jlD7Fn689Zg
just listened to 10/3 above, sounds like a tired man. Look for a 1968 version of the same sonata from 1968 to hear vital playing.

AB
Bozo
2015-05-17 02:19:06 UTC
...sounds like a tired man...
I listened only to the Schubert D.784 ; agreed.
Tony
2015-05-17 12:21:43 UTC
He was 18 years old when that '68 performance was recorded. Now he's 65. When the lights are down and he's right in front of you, references disappear and the context of his performance then is what's amazing. I think we'll have to discount this tired idea for what it is -- canned goods at home. My crappy bootleg won't capture what took place, and of course 65 and 18 are worlds apart in the same person.
m***@gmail.com
2015-05-17 14:06:47 UTC
Post by Tony
Post by arri bachrach
just listened to 10/3 above, sounds like a tired man. Look for a 1968 version of the same sonata from 1968 to hear vital playing.
AB
He was 18 years old when that '68 performance was recorded. Now he's 65. When the lights are down and he's right in front of you, references disappear and the context of his performance then is what's amazing. I think we'll have to discount this tired idea for what it is -- canned goods at home. My crappy bootleg won't capture what took place, and of course 65 and 18 are worlds apart in the same person.
I listened to the '68 every day last summer and love it, but in defense of the later interpretation, it's orchestral, whereas the first is clearly pianistic. Listen to 1:15 - 1:30 from 2015. You can hear the brass relay its heraldic tone up through the ranks. Sokolov junior overlooks blast #3 each time, which is not a big deal, but it's indicative - he's not imagining or conjuring a symphony with its separate sections.
-Max
arri bachrach
2015-05-17 18:00:20 UTC
Post by Tony
Post by arri bachrach
just listened to 10/3 above, sounds like a tired man. Look for a 1968 version of the same sonata from 1968 to hear vital playing.
AB
He was 18 years old when that '68 performance was recorded. Now he's 65. When the lights are down and he's right in front of you, references disappear and the context of his performance then is what's amazing. I think we'll have to discount this tired idea for what it is -- canned goods at home. My crappy bootleg won't capture what took place, and of course 65 and 18 are worlds apart in the same person.
not sure what you mean by 'tired idea'. there are plenty of 65 year old musicians who still had fire in their playing, Rubenstein, Cherkassky, Richter, Heifetz, etc.

AB
Tony
2015-05-17 20:51:40 UTC
Post by arri bachrach
Post by Tony
Post by arri bachrach
just listened to 10/3 above, sounds like a tired man. Look for a 1968 version of the same sonata from 1968 to hear vital playing.
AB
He was 18 years old when that '68 performance was recorded. Now he's 65. When the lights are down and he's right in front of you, references disappear and the context of his performance then is what's amazing. I think we'll have to discount this tired idea for what it is -- canned goods at home. My crappy bootleg won't capture what took place, and of course 65 and 18 are worlds apart in the same person.
not sure what you mean by 'tired idea'. there are plenty of 65 year old musicians who still had fire in their playing, Rubenstein, Cherkassky, Richter, Heifetz, etc.
AB
I don't really see your point Arri. If his fire's gone, he couldn't play Rameau like this:

arri bachrach
2015-05-17 23:43:35 UTC
Post by Tony
Post by arri bachrach
Post by Tony
Post by arri bachrach
just listened to 10/3 above, sounds like a tired man. Look for a 1968 version of the same sonata from 1968 to hear vital playing.
AB
He was 18 years old when that '68 performance was recorded. Now he's 65. When the lights are down and he's right in front of you, references disappear and the context of his performance then is what's amazing. I think we'll have to discount this tired idea for what it is -- canned goods at home. My crappy bootleg won't capture what took place, and of course 65 and 18 are worlds apart in the same person.
not sure what you mean by 'tired idea'. there are plenty of 65 year old musicians who still had fire in their playing, Rubenstein, Cherkassky, Richter, Heifetz, etc.
AB
http://youtu.be/ok_JJ1__8ls
dont see much 'fire' in that performance or the music itself..... more like smoke, not fire.

Arri
Tony
2015-05-18 23:25:15 UTC
Richter at the '91 December nights

Beethoven op. 109

Beethoven op. 110

Tony
2015-05-20 21:31:31 UTC
Pletnev's 1986 December Nights recital:

Tchaikovsky Grand Sonata:

Tchaikovsky Children's Album:

Tchaikovsky Nocturne:

Tony
2015-05-27 12:02:28 UTC
Post by Tony
Tchaikovsky Grand Sonata: http://youtu.be/Sh7iSDejAvg
Tchaikovsky Children's Album: http://youtu.be/_By43NULjz8
Tchaikovsky Nocturne: http://youtu.be/nghIw5g_014
I have fixed the sync issue and reuploaded these

Grand Sonata:

Children's Album:

Nocturne:

Tony
2015-05-21 15:31:38 UTC
enter the weird world of Valery Afanassiev playing Schubert's Drei Klavierstucke, D. 946

that's the last video for a while
Tony
2015-05-21 16:12:13 UTC
Post by Tony
enter the weird world of Valery Afanassiev playing Schubert's Drei Klavierstucke, D. 946
http://youtu.be/UftsU1lKbvI
that's the last video for a while
incidentally, if anyone cares, Sony Japan is releasing Afanassiev playing Beethoven's Pathetique, Moonlight and Appassionata

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Beethoven-1770-1827_000000000034571/item_Piano-Sonatas-Nos-8-14-23-Afanassiev-Hybrid_6342327
laraine
2015-05-28 00:06:11 UTC
Post by Tony
[...]
Thanks for uploading these rarities! I'm in the process of listening.

I'm curious about William Wolfram, and there really isn't much on YouTube.
Don't think you should hesitate about uploading the last set - leaden to some
is thoughtful to others.

C.
Tony
2015-05-28 11:55:10 UTC
Post by laraine
Post by Tony
[...]
You're right. They're all worth hearing. What I meant about Shtarkman was in comparison to Feinberg.

Shtarkman plays two Scriabin mazurkas -

Elena Richter plays Scriabin op. 74 Preludes -

William Wolfram plays Scriabin sonata 4 -

Tony
2015-05-28 21:59:19 UTC
I've found a rare Russian film entitled In the World of Sound which features Van Cliburn's 1972 tour in Russia. I've uploaded Chopin's 62/2 Nocturne from it. Of course it's a strange sort of Russian processing to the sound.

Tony
2015-05-29 00:01:23 UTC
Post by Tony
I've found a rare Russian film entitled In the World of Sound which features Van Cliburn's 1972 tour in Russia. I've uploaded Chopin's 62/2 Nocturne from it. Of course it's a strange sort of Russian processing to the sound.
http://youtu.be/dIKyS3lr7LU
I've uploaded the entire 43 minute documentary.

Tony
2015-06-01 10:08:43 UTC
I've found some early live recordings of Pletnev in Tokyo, starting with Kreisleriana from 1983. The slow movements are incredible.

Tony
2015-06-01 15:36:46 UTC
Post by Tony
I've found some early live recordings of Pletnev in Tokyo, starting with Kreisleriana from 1983. The slow movements are incredible.
http://youtu.be/H3AbYUkRMXI
Pletnev live in '82 and '83

Chopin's op. 49 Fantaisie:

Prokofiev's Sonata 2 -

six of Tchaikovsky's 18 Pieces, op. 72:

Tony
2015-06-02 00:08:14 UTC
Post by Tony
Post by Tony
I've found some early live recordings of Pletnev in Tokyo, starting with Kreisleriana from 1983. The slow movements are incredible.
http://youtu.be/H3AbYUkRMXI
Pletnev live in '82 and '83
Chopin's op. 49 Fantaisie: http://youtu.be/z46vrOk7C1U
Prokofiev's Sonata 2 - http://youtu.be/fn6CbzHeuzo
six of Tchaikovsky's 18 Pieces, op. 72: http://youtu.be/iXmbW3aeVfo
Already shared in this group. Pletnev's '95 recital

Brahms Handel Variations -

Debussy Preludes book 1 -

Tony
2015-06-02 12:22:34 UTC
Post by Tony
Post by Tony
Post by Tony
I've found some early live recordings of Pletnev in Tokyo, starting with Kreisleriana from 1983. The slow movements are incredible.
http://youtu.be/H3AbYUkRMXI
Pletnev live in '82 and '83
Chopin's op. 49 Fantaisie: http://youtu.be/z46vrOk7C1U
Prokofiev's Sonata 2 - http://youtu.be/fn6CbzHeuzo
six of Tchaikovsky's 18 Pieces, op. 72: http://youtu.be/iXmbW3aeVfo
Already shared in this group. Pletnev's '95 recital
Brahms Handel Variations - http://youtu.be/lEiMC3afXyc
Debussy Preludes book 1 - http://youtu.be/iaHqvZk6Gc0
Pletnev's encores from '82:

Glinka-Balakirev Lark -

Chopin etude op. 10 no. 8 -

Moszkowski Etincelles op. 36 no. 6 -

Tony
2015-06-02 16:44:02 UTC
a wonderful all-Bach recital by Tatiana Nikolayeva given in Tokyo in 1984

Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565
Partita no. 2 in C minor, BWV 826
Art of Fugue, BWV 1080 - Contrapunctus 1
Art of Fugue, BWV 1080 - Contrapunctus 9
15 Sinfonias, BWV 787-801
Prelude and Fugue no. 1 in C major, BWV 846
Partita no. 5 in G major, BWV 829 - Preambulum
Musical Offering, BWV 1079, Ricercar a 3 voci (voices)

Tony
2015-06-03 16:35:02 UTC
In a somewhat desperate attempt to maintain the pace of this thread despite a dwindling pool of recordings, I'm now adding some pianists who studied in Russia but are probably not Russian.

Japanese pianist Minoru Nojima studied with Lev Oborin and, in this group at least, has become known for being tied up in the Hatto Hoax

Ravel Miroirs:

Debussy Preludes, book 1:

Schubert A minor D 845 sonata:

Tony
2015-06-03 19:06:56 UTC
a wonderful 1985 Chopin recital by Dang Thai Son. He studied with Dmitri Bashkirov and got gold at the 1980 Chopin competition (you know the year when Pogorelich really won).

Chopin Preludes

Nocturne op. 55 no. 2
Scherzo no. 3, op. 39
Introduction and Rondo, op. 16